The U.S. Will Never Change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I read an article after the Ross Perot campaign that stated that if everyone who wanted to vote for him actually did he would have got the nomination. That too many of them either changed their votes or stayed home instead after being convinced by the media that they would be wasting their votes. Had they ignored the media and voted their conscious we might have had a totally different election result.
If they cant talk you into voting for their candidate the next best thing is to talk you into staying at home because your vote would be "thrown away".

Michael

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they cant talk you into voting for their candidate the next best thing is to talk you into staying at home because your vote would be "thrown away".

Michael

If i remember my Poli sci 101 correctly, it's much easier to mobilize your base to vote than it is to get someone to change his or her mind. Hence why getting those independent voters is increasingly more important. You're going to get your base to vote for you. Hardcore GOPers aren't going to vote for Obama, but getting them to show up is still a worry.

This is why i think forcing candidates to run towards the base during the primaries is hurting the GOP. Forcing a moderate candidate to embrace the religious right in order to get the nomination only serves to turn off the undecided voters and gives the democrats ammunition. I know from my experience that I've been increasingly unhappy with the GOP candidates who want to confuse church and state with religion and politics.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read an article after the Ross Perot campaign that stated that if everyone who wanted to vote for him actually did he would have got the nomination. That too many of them either changed their votes or stayed home instead after being convinced by the media that they would be wasting their votes. Had they ignored the media and voted their conscious we might have had a totally different election result.

Michael

Ross Perot imploded his successful run for the Presidency on his own. While doing quite well in the polls, he suddenly withdrew his candidacy stating a bunch of bizarre reasons having to do with someone threatening to release compromising photos of his daughter. He later reentered the race, but by then his credibility was shot. Then there was the laughable debate performance by his VP choice Admiral James Stockdale.While I'm sure Admiral Stockdale was once an honorable war veteran, his debate performance was quite laughable. By that time Perot had no chance of being taken seriously, Perot then ran as a 3rd party candidate and probably was responsible for us having Bill Clinton as POTUS for 8 years.

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trolling, really not. One of things that amazes me about a lot of the folks here is how angry and frightened they are about life in general.

Meh, I'm not angry or frightened. Our current political climate and our parties are both kinda depressing. I try not to deal with politics too much.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ross Perot imploded his successful run for the Presidency on his own. While doing quite well in the polls, he suddenly withdrew his candidacy stating a bunch of bizarre reasons having to do with someone threatening to release compromising photos of his daughter. He later reentered the race, but by then his credibility was shot. Then there was the laughable debate performance by his VP choice Admiral James Stockdale.While I'm sure Admiral Stockdale was once an honorable war veteran, his debate performance was quite laughable. By that time Perot had no chance of being taken seriously, Perot then ran as a 3rd party candidate and probably was responsible for us having Bill Clinton as POTUS for 8 years.
I agree with you on the point you have made. They are correct. What I was pointing out was the fact that many voters were convinced to stay home and not vote by the media. Not by the actions of Perot. How many time have you heard someone say they would like to vote for a certain Cantidate but were convinced that they were wasting their vote?

As for what happened to Admiral James Stockdale, it was a disgrace. The man was a true American hero in every respect. For the media to do to him what they did was heartbreaking to me. For Perot to not defend him was something I will never forgive him for.

Michael

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Nah. The Handlers got to him.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trolling, really not. One of things that amazes me about a lot of the folks here is how angry and frightened they are about life in general.

Not skeered, but certainly pissed. I'm tired of paying for every non-hacker on the planet. And again, how does anyone see any perceptible difference between the parties or their candidates?

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not skeered, but certainly pissed. I'm tired of paying for every non-hacker on the planet. And again, how does anyone see any perceptible difference between the parties or their candidates?
When my best friend got his U.S. citizenship some years ago he asked me the difference between the two parties. I told him that in my opinion for actual tax payers, not those who get back everything they paid in at the end of the year, that there is no difference between the two. They are both going to take your money. They just disagree on how to spend it is all.

Michael

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nah. The Handlers got to him.

I was as big a Ross Perot supporter in 92 as many here today are supporters of Ron Paul. Ross Perot turned out to be like your crazy old uncle that shows up for Thanksgiving dinner. Thank God everyone found out in time. He was up to 40% in the polls to Bush's 25% and Clinton's 25% when he unexpectedly out of no where just quit. And as much of a hero as Admiral Stockton was, he should have never been put in that position. That craazy old uncle is kind of what I see in Ron Paul when he goes off in the debates.

Latest posts

Top Bottom