Tired of being un-fit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, I am about to turn 29, and it has dawned on me that continuing to be fat will be detrimental to my health, and that getting more fit won't get any easier. My size 38 pants were getting tight and the last thing I wanted to do is waste ammo money on new clothes. Well, after several weeks of changing the way I eat I have dropped 13 pounds and the size 38 pants are actually pretty loose. Now, I know the first bit of weight is the easiest to drop, so this isn't a victory dance, I still have a long way to go. Started at 234, am now 219. Initial goal is to get under 200. Then I plan to push for 180. I'm 5'7" and 180 is what I was when I got married.

Here's my question, I plan to start hiking and running some, I would like to set a goal of doing one of those Tough Mudder, or Spartan Race style runs. I know there are others that come around, but I don't know their names. If any of yall know when one of these types of events will be in the area, let me know please. Also, whats the best way to train for one? Due to a couple of knee issues I am trying not to run a whole lot, at least not until I drop more weight.

Any advice, suggestions or anything else would be great. Like the title says, this isn't about being skinny, or looking good so much as it is about hitting 30, and then 40 and still being able to chase my kids around the yard, and hike into the mountains with them. I excused myself in the past because I wasn't "obese" but I'm darn sure not fit. Fit is the goal.

Thanks.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wish you all the success!

Depending on what your knee issues are, you might also consider some weight training to help built the muscles around the joint and make it better.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 5'7" and 225ish and in the same boat with the bad knees. I've found riding a bike is really good exercise and easy on the knees. I previously did it to drop weight to Join the Navy too. Went from 235 to 175 without even changing my diet. Just rode 20-30 miles a couple times a week. I think I'm gonna go air up the tires.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 5'7" and 225ish and in the same boat with the bad knees. I've found riding a bike is really good exercise and easy on the knees. I previously did it to drop weight to Join the Navy too. Went from 235 to 175 without even changing my diet. Just rode 20-30 miles a couple times a week. I think I'm gonna go air up the tires.

Oh jeez ... I got tired just reading that ... I'll get back with you guys after I'm done with surgery tomorrow. I went shooting this morning and my elbows hurt so bad after about 50 or so rounds with the 10-22 I couldn't believe it. I've never been what one would call athletically built but I could always work a good day's work (and I'm talking manual labor, not cubicle-humping). Not so now ... I'll be glad to start moving around even more after this one is done.

Rumor has it I'll be good for another 100,000 miles after this overhaul ... :wink2:

ETA: Whatever you decide to do, take care of your knees. I didn't ... and now they ***** at me constantly ... Funny, I would have thought my hips would go first ... :tounge:

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
follow your diet on myfitnesspal and find a routine you can stick to. If you go to gym see if they have a concept 2 rower I would buy one used but I don't have 600 dollars. how bad are your knees?

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
follow your diet on myfitnesspal and find a routine you can stick to. If you go to gym see if they have a concept 2 rower I would buy one used but I don't have 600 dollars. how bad are your knees?

Have been on myfitness pal for the whole time, I love it. My knees aren't bad, they just begin to bother me, and I don't know if I should push on, or stop. The last Dr I talked to about them said I would need an MRI to tell if there was a problem...

That's why I came up with the drop weight and see theory. Just gonna take the running slow and see. No time or extra cash for the gym, looking at body weight workouts I can do at home, and I have a set of 25# barbells... lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom