Tired of being un-fit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have been on myfitness pal for the whole time, I love it. My knees aren't bad, they just begin to bother me, and I don't know if I should push on, or stop. The last Dr I talked to about them said I would need an MRI to tell if there was a problem...

That's why I came up with the drop weight and see theory. Just gonna take the running slow and see. No time or extra cash for the gym, looking at body weight workouts I can do at home, and I have a set of 25# barbells... lol.

push-ups, pull-ups, bw squats, leg raises, if you can be physically active for an hour a day or 3 mins everyday you should be good it may become monotonous though. For your knee just take it easy until you feel you should test yourself.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of the other races are Warriod Dash and Dirty 30. Warrior Dash is a national series around Tulsa and D30 is local in Mulhall south of Stillwater. Sign up for the WD now for next may if interested prices have already started going up.

Dropping weight should help your knees, I've read every pound over weight adds 4 psi of stress to your knees. You may also make sure you are good and stretched. When I was training for a half marathon this year I was having a lot of knee pain working my quads with a foam roller took it away.

Go to a real running store and get a gait analysis and get fitted with the proper shoes, it may cost a little more but is worth it.

MFP is great as is finding a routine that works. I've started lifting at lunch which is a life saver. It is the only way I can get everything in.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went through this starting last November, actually still am. Started November 15, 2011 at 5'10" 268 pushing size 40 pants. Quit drinking and that helped. And then in Jan-Mar I worked out and walked until I got to about 238. Then spring hit and I worked when I got home until dark.
I started drinking again in August and felt like crap, but didn't want to give it up. So, in September I started walking on the treadmill. Just 8-10 min to start. Occasionally weight lifting in the house. Then in October I kicked it up and started cto5k. I am now going on week 4 over about 5 weeks. I'm not perfect but I'm trying. Tonight I ran 4 min, 6 min and 4 min. I haven done that since hs baseball. I lift a couple times a week with 8-8-8 reps to build muscle. I do an occasional workout crosstrain video workout.
I'm running my first 5k on December 1. I'm not super excited and nervous, but I just want to finish safely.
Oh, and I'm down to 231 and feeling better. I tried a 5:15am workout for a couple weeks and loved it. A couple things combined to throw me off that schedule, but I'm going back to it. My days are so much better.

I don't run or workout everyday. About 4-5 days a week. A couple days of rest are important. And sleep, get a good 8 hours and cut back on carbs.

Dedication- the biggest way to lose weight.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Practice get-away from the dinner table drills, and get a more active life style even if its walking around the neighborhood.
Walk fast, and you won't damage your knees anymore.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went from 260 down to almost 180. Back up to 190, but on a bulking cycle. I am also doing couch to 10k on my off days from lifting. On week 10, weeks 1-8 are same as couch to 5k. Ran my first mud run a few weeks ago. I really like the couch to apps, really helped me, the first couple of weeks were probably the hardest. Once you get into this stuff, its hard to stop. I really enjoy it, plus it feels really good to squeeze into a pair of 31's or 32's and a nice shirt. I actually got asked if I had my shirts tailored to make them look the way they do.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd also recommend cycling if your knees bother you. I tried jogging for a bit, but my knees would ache for a couple days afterward, so I quit and started riding a bike. No more knee pain, and it's still a good workout especially uphill. Power walking is also good, but I need to pay attention to my speed. If I push myself a bit too much, I start getting shin splints something bad. Yes, I'm wearing good exercise shoes.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd also recommend cycling if your knees bother you. I tried jogging for a bit, but my knees would ache for a couple days afterward, so I quit and started riding a bike. No more knee pain, and it's still a good workout especially uphill. Power walking is also good, but I need to pay attention to my speed. If I push myself a bit too much, I start getting shin splints something bad. Yes, I'm wearing good exercise shoes.

I had same problem with shin splints. Go to youtube, they have a lot of videos on which exercises to do that will keep you from having shin splints. Worked great for me.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I did to when I started, push through it and it will go away after a few weeks. Mine did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom