Today’s Winter Weather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure we get ice. But to close schools and so on just because we MIGHT get a little? I think it’s a massive case of overreacting to a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a huge liability to chance even a kid slipping and injuring him/herself let alone have school busses driving on ice.
It's for the children....

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I remiss on this weather....close the school....OMG-there's a possibility of snow....THINK OF THE CHILDREN-THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

[email protected] remember getting the chores done in SNOW and ICE before breakfast and waiting in my bedroom...looking out the window for the school bus.

Yep...our bus driver(named Slim) drove about 15 miles of rural....red dirt....1" gravel roads...before getting on Highway 18 and hauling a** to get us to school on time. Oh Yeah we slide in our bus seats when the dirt roads turned to mud and he shifted gears and turned corners.

Oh yeah we slide around on the bus seats when it snowed....the bus sliding on paved streets and ice covered/snowy roads BEFORE the grader man...County Grader Operator made it down a few of the roads.

Yep....I went to school and we even had school let out a few times early because of weather(we were AT SCHOOL)....let me count...Hmm...1,2,3....yep 3 times in my school years. How many times did we get out for snowy weather....Hmmm..let me count, 1,2,3,4,5,6.....yep about 6 times. That was from Jr High to End of Sr year in 1981.

Wow!!! It seems that if Emily Sutton or Mike Morgan....hint...no, more like TRANSCENDENTAL a THOUGHT of SNOW....ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!

I'm sure glad my parents aren't around to see this happening. Heck...they would have been charged with child abuse in bad weather!!!

In bad weather I still had to fire up the tractor and feed the cows and horses. Make sure the hogs had water(heating element was working in their through) and they had access to their shed ...then make sure the coon hounds had food and water AND enough hay in their boxes to keep them warm AND tack up an old blanket in front of their opening of their dog box so cold air wouldn't freeze them. Then make sure the fighting...urrr...ummm...show chickens were inside the barn so they wouldn't freeze or freeze their feet.

THEN...I had to get the axe and chop several holes in 3.....3.....did I tell you THREE...ponds so the horses and cows would have water and the horses wouldn't try to walk across the icy pond.

^^^^All of this as soon as I got off the school bus and changed into my chore clothes....Oh...by the way....an 12 year old on a NON CAB-NO HEATER ...Ford Tractor...I used the small one Ford-NON CAB-3600. So I HAD...no one else...I HAD to make sure I bundled up enough not to freeze any body parts while taking care of the animals. ALL of this BEFORE my parents came home from work!!!

In today's world...my parents would have been charged with child abuse and neglect on expecting me to do those chores AND in bad weather.....BY MYSELF!!! Trust me.....if those chores weren't done by the time my folks go home...yep...they would have been charged with physical abuse on a child!!

Thank God for my parents and the time period I grew up in. If I was a kid now days....I'd freak out if I saw snow or ice. I'd be afraid to come out of the house!!!:smack:

Last edited:

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you just bash us (Oklahomans) for our driving then admit to drinking Snapple Peach Tea??? Alright gentlemen, let the Peach Tea drinker have it!! :)

LMAO Yes, I drink Snapple Peach Tea, mainly because it is made with real sugar and not HFCS. There is very little out there now that doesn't have HFCS sadly. I used to get the Pepsi with real sugar, but looks like they discontinued it. I also drink Gold Peak peach and raspberry teas and bottled QT teas. Funny thing though is I can't stand regular (sweet or unsweet) tea. And yes, I will bash Oklahoman drivers as I've grown up with them and learned what not to do from them :P

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LMAO Yes, I drink Snapple Peach Tea, mainly because it is made with real sugar and not HFCS. There is very little out there now that doesn't have HFCS sadly. I used to get the Pepsi with real sugar, but looks like they discontinued it. I also drink Gold Peak peach and raspberry teas and bottled QT teas. Funny thing though is I can't stand regular (sweet or unsweet) tea. And yes, I will bash Oklahoman drivers as I've grown up with them and learned what not to do from them :P

My wife and kid like those fruity teas, maybe ya'll can get together and have a little tea party. Afterward swing by the Coach store and get a new purse (man bag).

I'm just messing with ya.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Refreakingdickulous! I remember driving to school with the tractor. The 6 miles took me an hour but I got there. That was Feb of 73. We were snowed into the house and had to dig out. That was after I did my chores feeding and watering my cattle, hogs and sheep.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's reasonable to assume that the risk of lawsuits is what makes schools, colleges etc. shutdown in less than terrible weather. Juries jump to award big damages, when a child is injured and the defendant has deep pockets.

I was skeptical this morning too but the meteorologists said it was 100% chance of happening and indeed it has come to pass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom