Today’s Winter Weather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it the lawsuits?? Really???

Than schools should ban ALL sports........THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!

How will our society ever survive!!!???

Hey Kid...get up and ready for school. School must go on even if -50.....we only close when it's -52 or lower. vvvvvv
https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/326817-50c-school-in-russia-go-on

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I have become my Dad and Grandad rolled into one-me. Just thought people were a little tougher....but with all the parents driving their kids to school...

Why do we even have school buses in larger cities...Okc/Tulsa? I try to avoid schools here in North OKC & Edmond when it's time for school to let out.

I see people PARKING in the street to wait for their child....is this legal? Can I park my car in the street for a few hours...a busy street like May or Penn...in front of a school?

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember walking to school in ice and snow from first grade on. That was half the fun of it. In high school before I had a license I remember riding the bus to school 20 miles to get there and find school was canceled but the person who makes the decision slid off the road into a ditch and didn't have a cell phone. So was at school long enough to watch their home room crap and then go home. Once I had my license the winter roads were often solid sheets of ice from the snow that was packed down for weeks on end. If they canceled school like they do here where I was at you would be lucky to know the alphabet let alone how to add or subtract.

Shoot in 96 it was below zero for a week straight an an school still ran. Down here I am dumbfounded when school is canceled when it gets into single digit temps..

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am old enough to remember school not closing just because of a forecast or even some snow on the roads. Buses ran rural routes with chains sometimes. I will say this about how things have changed on the decision-making criteria. My wife was a teacher in an OKC suburb and we lived about 7 miles from her school. One morning brought very slick streets due to an overnight ice storm. We were hoping her school would close but the superintendent was old-school and this was the late 80s, before many snow days were put on the calendar.

She bundled up the kids to head for the babysitter near the school and then on to work. Her route to school included a road that was used by the school buses to return to the bus barn. My wife was attempting to head uphill without skidding into the ditch and saw a school bus sliding partially sideways down the hill. She had to take the ditch to avoid the bus. From there, she had to walk/carry the kids to the babysitter's home and get a ride to the school. I had to go recover the car from the ditch that evening.

I wrote all that to simply say that the superintendent lived his remaining days (he's long dead now) without knowing how close he came to meeting his Maker that day had anything happened to my wife and kids because he chose to have school and put buses on the unsafe roads. I know this reads like "cool story, bro" now and I can tell you I had settled the matter in my mind that day.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
***TRUST ME*** I don't want anyone hurt or in an accident. It just seems that at the drop of a hat.....school...for that matter...half of OKC shuts down....probably all the parents rushing to pickup their kids from school. I just don't remember this when I was attending public school.

Again...I have become my Dad and Grandad...

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom