Traditional Archery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some reason I thought there was an archery forum here...guess I thought wrong. Anyway, I've been thinking about getting into traditional archery for a while now, not for hunting, just for shooting at targets. I really don't know much about archery, and I intend to visit one of the pro shops around. Just wondered what kind of advice you folks could give me. I've kind of been eyeballing the Samick Red Stag recurve, it has good reviews and it's not too expensive. Any advice on bows, or what shops to visit, etc?

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am down here in Lawton we have one shop called Archers corner I use for my supplies. I would recommend for OKC and surrounding area, you check out H&R Shooter they have an indoor range and a decent stock of archery equipment and supplies. That would be a good starting point, see if you can try out the bows first before you pay out hard-earned cash. I also would recommend Bass Pro shop if you are looking for a selection. Of course if you want a challenge, building recurves from local harvested hardwoods are a lot of fun.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Howard Hill Bambo long bow, the "Tembo" model for sale, it is either 70 or 75 lb pull at 28 inches. It is a great bow, due to shoulder injuries I can't shoot it any longer. Shoot me a pm if you are interested and I will give you the particulars.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to handle some Samick recurves in person, check out Oklahoma Archery in south OKC. I'm not certain if they stock the Red DTAG, but they do have the Samick Sage, which is a great starter recurve for the price. I'm just now starting out on a Samick Journey (slight length upgrade over the Sage). Quite pleased with it, and Oklahoma Archery set me up with a decent set of arrows that matched the bow poundage and my draw length.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One bit of advice I received from good friends who are Olympic-style archers and coaches - don't overdo the poundage on your first recurve. You need at least 40 pounds to hunt legally, but if you're just wanting to shoot targets, consider starting out lighter (I'm shooting 35 pounds, and on later reflection I should have started at 28-30). Get your form down first, work on your ability to reliably reproduce your shots, then consider an upgrade.

If you get a takedown model, you can replace the limbs as your ability and strength improve.

Disclaimer: not a real expert, just have a lot of smart friends.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
One bit of advice I received from good friends who are Olympic-style archers and coaches - don't overdo the poundage on your first recurve. You need at least 40 pounds to hunt legally, but if you're just wanting to shoot targets, consider starting out lighter (I'm shooting 35 pounds, and on later reflection I should have started at 28-30). Get your form down first, work on your ability to reliably reproduce your shots, then consider an upgrade.

If you get a takedown model, you can replace the limbs as your ability and strength improve.

Disclaimer: not a real expert, just have a lot of smart friends.

That's important advise! If you don't enjoy shooting it, you won't shoot it. Definately try some out before you buy if you can. I've got a Hoyt Sky longbow that I enjoy and prefer a longbow to a recurve, but most people don't..................shoot as many different ones as possible and enjoy!:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom