Would you like a donut with that cup of Joe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, I lived on a cul-de-sac, in a small neighborhood. The entrance to the neighborhood was 2 blocks off the main street. An old Dairy Queen, opened as a donut shop sat on the main st, directly across from the neighborhood entrance.

We would stop for coffee and donuts, when we were headed out duck hunting or fishing.

Donut shop didn't open until 6, we left around 5, normally. One morning, a little behind, the shop had opened and we stopped. Danny, the old Asian that owned the shop says, "I see you every Saturday. You want donut, come, I open door."

So, we would stop everytime. He would see my truck and unlock door, box up donuts fresh from the fryer, piping hot. Sooooooo good.

He asked what we were doing and i told him, goose hunting. He commented how much he loved goose. A couple weeks later, we had a particularly awesome day and limited out, 40 goose. Cleaned and wrapped 6 for him for opening early for us.

He took good care of us and we bought a lot of donuts.

I would order a medium coffee in a large cup. It confused the crap out of his daughter. Told her to take a large cup and fill it 2/3 full. She said that made no sense. I tell her, "if you fill it full, I spill it in my lap. I can't drive, shift gears, eat donut and drink coffee, at the time."
Danny would bring coffee and show her. Told her, "them no charge for coffee."

He got lots of geese, ducks, and fish over the years.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I lived on a cul-de-sac, in a small neighborhood. The entrance to the neighborhood was 2 blocks off the main street. An old Dairy Queen, opened as a donut shop sat on the main st, directly across from the neighborhood entrance.

We would stop for coffee and donuts, when we were headed out duck hunting or fishing.

Donut shop didn't open until 6, we left around 5, normally. One morning, a little behind, the shop had opened and we stopped. Danny, the old Asian that owned the shop says, "I see you every Saturday. You want donut, come, I open door."

So, we would stop everytime. He would see my truck and unlock door, box up donuts fresh from the fryer, piping hot. Sooooooo good.

He asked what we were doing and i told him, goose hunting. He commented how much he loved goose. A couple weeks later, we had a particularly awesome day and limited out, 40 goose. Cleaned and wrapped 6 for him for opening early for us.

I would order a medium coffee in a large cup. It confused the crap out of his daughter. Told her to take a large cup and fill it 2/3 full. She said that made no sense. I tell her, "if you fill it full, I spill it in my lap. I can't drive, shift gears, eat donut and drink coffee, at the time."

I love doing business with folks like that. People have forgotten what customer service is. I've all but banned Walmart for that very reason. They don't teach their employees good customer service skills.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

That right there is something you hear about and never see. It seems like a fairy tale these days.

Many people I know would not tell you it is BS, but they would dismiss it as OK BOOMER.

To me that is part of why it doesn't exist. Not many out there see kindness as currency.

Thank you for sharing that.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love doing business with folks like that. People have forgotten what customer service is. I've all but banned Walmart for that very reason. They don't teach their employees good customer service skills.
Oh they most certainly do....when I worked there they did, however they never ensure that it is being done.

Part of that is simply because of unfulfilled ethical issues.

1 in every 3 Walmart employees is on SNAP, and kicker is that for each of those that are, Walmart gets a 9600 tax break for employment of that person.

With no cap to how many they can have.

Do you see that being passed to the employee, to the customer? Bet you they used that to buy a self check out station.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh they most certainly do....when I worked there they did, however they never ensure that it is being done.

Part of that is simply because of unfulfilled ethical issues.

1 in every 3 Walmart employees is on SNAP, and kicker is that for each of those that are, Walmart gets a 9600 tax break for employment of that person.

With no cap to how many they can have.

Do you see that being passed to the employee, to the customer? Bet you they used that to buy a self check out station.

Wif went to work at Wally, for a short stint. During new hire orientation, they were given forms SNAP, WIC, Sooner Care and every other assistance program available. They were INSTRUCTED to spend their benefits at Wally to get the most benefit.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wif went to work at Wally, for a short stint. During new hire orientation, they were given forms SNAP, WIC, Sooner Care and every other assistance program available. They were INSTRUCTED to spend their benefits at Wally to get the most benefit.
Yeah, they definitely do, so they can keep all that money in house.

Walmart also owns the company that builds their stores, so they can lease it to themselves and deduct that cost from their taxes.

It is a big club, and we aint in it.

Did you notice around 2000 they really began to close all their older stores to switch into super centers, and then mid 2000s they did that neighborhood market BS?

They ditched the bonus thing too, where each store had a cap and over that each employee got a percentage?

1000 dollar bonus after taxes wasn't that irregular. They slowly privatized profits and socialized losses.

Then they just pushed every single bit of competition out, saw some documentary about how Walmart operates.

You should go to Bentonville AR and see their complex, it is a sight if you look at it like you want to understand it.

Most of their vendors are in tiny strip malls near the head quarters. Walmart knows exactly to the fraction of a cent what the suppliers make on each item.

They say we will pay this and that is it, if they decline....poof they gone and Walmart will get someone else that fast.

Like Rubbermaid

Memeber how they used to be a staple in Walmart? Now you don't see them?

Look up why and how.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, they definitely do, so they can keep all that money in house.

Walmart also owns the company that builds their stores, so they can lease it to themselves and deduct that cost from their taxes.

It is a big club, and we aint in it.

Did you notice around 2000 they really began to close all their older stores to switch into super centers, and then mid 2000s they did that neighborhood market BS?

They ditched the bonus thing too, where each store had a cap and over that each employee got a percentage?

1000 dollar bonus after taxes wasn't that irregular. They slowly privatized profits and socialized losses.

Then they just pushed every single bit of competition out, saw some documentary about how Walmart operates.

You should go to Bentonville AR and see their complex, it is a sight if you look at it like you want to understand it.

Most of their vendors are in tiny strip malls near the head quarters. Walmart knows exactly to the fraction of a cent what the suppliers make on each item.

They say we will pay this and that is it, if they decline....poof they gone and Walmart will get someone else that fast.

Like Rubbermaid

Memeber how they used to be a staple in Walmart? Now you don't see them?

Look up why and how.
Canon towels, too

I hate Walmart

Latest posts

Top Bottom