Urban Poultry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 4th grade our class hatched chickens. Our teacher said "Who lives in the country and has parents who wouldn't mind some chickens?" Only one girl raised her hand. I knew this would not do; she couldn't take all the birds. Homeless chickens? I didn't want to imagine the plight of homeless chickens. So naturally I volunteered to take the other half. Sure, teach. Parents say it's fine (err...they probably will when I tell them).

"Mom and dad, I'm bringing home half the class chickens."

"Oh?"

"Yeh."

"Damnit."

So we had to build a coop. The following few springs I hatched more eggs I bought from the fur & feather swap, in my bedroom, turning them manually. Incubators are fun for kids. Americaunas or mutt Easter Eggers are fun for kids, too. I always tried a myriad of breeds, just for kicks. Rhode Island Reds and Buff (or other) Orpingtons are always a solid choice. Orpingtons can get huge, and they're tough and solid producers. They don't fly worth a damn (too fat) so they'd be a good urban bird.

All these years later, and my parents - who never had the slightest interest in chickens until my surprise adoption - are on their 3rd chicken coop and who the hell knows how many chickens they've had. I could never find the motivation to build my own coop when I moved out, because I can drive 5 miles and raid their egg supply. :D Chickens make me laugh, tho. That will eventually motivate me to get a coop going.

Remember...you need a rooster for those laying hens....but after a while that rooster will crow and the neighbors will complain!!!

Not only do you not need a rooster, you don't want a rooster. Especially at 46th and Yale.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, I had read you only need a rooster if you want fertilized eggs. The science makes sense... most species menstruate without the presence of a male.

And roosters are prohibited in non-ag zoned incorporated Tulsa

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your not going to raise any chicks?? I always thought Domineckers were a good looking fowl.
albc_usa.org_images_dominiquehen.jpg

I always liked a Bantam....Buff Brahma
Buff Brahma(Bantam)

[Broken External Image]

**NON ag zone** You do it how YOU want!!! ......Joking,joking!!

Cohiba

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your not going to raise any chicks??

Oh, he'll have an incubator in his son's room by next spring. :D

You can cop some fertilized eggs and forgo the rooster. I always bought mine at swaps.

I always thought Domineckers were a good looking fowl.
albc_usa.org_images_dominiquehen.jpg

He could be a simple-headed man with a Dominecker hen.

Last edited by a moderator:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More pics:

521295_10100822261248757_9628959_51968086_1062974043_n.jpg

564795_10100822261318617_9628959_51968088_1540055982_n.jpg

578282_10100822261513227_9628959_51968090_1888233806_n.jpg

I think the Orpingtons are probably what I will go with. Looking at what others have experienced, they seem to make a pretty docile, quiet urban bird. Which, with neighbors and kids and two curious dogs, is what I am after.

Left to do:

Finish (paint? Stain/sealer?)
2 Wheels and handles
Ladder/Ramp
Feeder
Waterer

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"the more chickens you got, the more thit you got" Good move going without flooring. Be sure to move the coop periodically to keep all that nitrogen from burning your lawn.
Ideally, you'ld give the chickens trustee status so they can feast on insects. That'll give you that orange yolk that's to die for.

slade1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great and good choice of birds. I always got mine shipped from Ideal Hatchery in Texas. The Postman loves it. You'll have a blast I'm sure.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ideally, you'ld give the chickens trustee status so they can feast on insects. That'll give you that orange yolk that's to die for.

The thick grass and shade (and likely the dog "litter") should keep my bug supply up pretty high, which the chickens will hopefully balance out.

Another question - with a smaller number of birds (2-4) and rotating the location fairly often, the chicken litter shouldn't be so thick it will burn up the grass, no? My father made that point and it's got me thinking, but I don't think a oft-moved coop would over-fertilize the yard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom