US Flag Code Violations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So your saying someone doesn't have the right to defend the flag and the memory of those that fought and died for it?

No, it's been established by the courts that you don't have that right. The flag is a symbol of many things, including freedom of expression. As i said, you still haven't explain how you're honoring the memories of those who have fought and died by infringing on rights that they died to protect.

It's like the patriot act or any other time someone has said we have to ignore the constitution in order to defend it.

By the way, i don't personally support desecrating the flag for political statements, but i do support the right to free political expression.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't need it explained to me. Like I said, the consequences of someone expressing their right to defend the flag are a different story. But you can't tell me that someone doesn't have the right to defend the flag against what they might consider "hate speech" or a "hate act", which are not protected by the 1st amendment.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't need it explained to me. Like I said, the consequences of someone expressing their right to defend the flag are a different story. But you can't tell me that someone doesn't have the right to defend the flag against what they might consider "hate speech" or a "hate act", which are not protected by the 1st amendment.

Sure we can because the courts have already decided it's not hate speech or a hate act. It's political expression. No matter how disgusting you find it, it's protected expression.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow - resurrected thread.

My original intent with this thread last year was that I expected more from someone active duty as far as the treatment of the flag. As I'd mentioned, the first amendment allows free speech, so I assume that even those in the military are allowed to do flag burnings (though I assume if they are in uniform, the CO would be unhappy).

So - abuse of the flag is protected and I understand that, but it saddened me that a young (supposed) AF office would treat it in a manner that appears to be disrespectful. But who knows, maybe it was from his dead grandfather, and he wanted to take it out to the football game, drag it through the spilled sodas and wipe his greasy hands off on it, then go wrap up in it later with warm thoughts.. Who am I to judge?

(Also it was at odds with my perception of the OU people at the games - they weren't slavering ravenous zombies and the only idiot I saw was an Air Force guy. I daresay they were better than the football moms in highschool. )

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of OU football games...

Those US Flags with different team logos integrated in them (like OU, or a Longhorn, etc...) replacing the field of blue and white stars - anyone else think those are in poor taste?

Those things bug me a heck of a lot more than the guy who doesn't take his flag down at night. At least he's flying a real flag.

I might leave my flag up at night... :lookaroun

Latest posts

Top Bottom