Wanting to build a small house with cash.. Best design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some one told me about a Cord house, and it look very interesting, and does not look expensive or hard to build.

a3f46a5a6b8201c8e6a306ca5da303e1.jpg

cordwoodbeehouse.jpg

d291ae98fb8571081e9afaa7ae9479b5.jpg

aec4b0c57123fbf4dbe550cc46904f18.jpg

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insulated Concrete............ Better in every way.
http://ichhp.com/

By the time you are done using one of these, the utility savings will pay for the structure!!!
icfweb.com for info too.

The best solutions are not always the absolute cheapest.
If you stack the block yourself, you can offset the extra expense the system ads to normal construction.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would choose pier and beam over the slab. Ground shifts and settles too much. Easier to occasionally level beam. Plus you have the added benefit of water and sewer line access. If you decide you want to move, on your property, elsewhere, or the direction the front door faces; latch on and move it.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would choose pier and beam over the slab. Ground shifts and settles too much. Easier to occasionally level beam. Plus you have the added benefit of water and sewer line access. If you decide you want to move, on your property, elsewhere, or the direction the front door faces; latch on and move it.

Sweet. That's what I had been thinking.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owned my own construction company for the last 20 years and built many houses. If you want your house to have good appreciation and resale or the next buyer to be able to get a mortgage, you need to build a house the conventional way. I would recommend a conventional floating slab on 18" deep footings or a post tensioned slab and standard wood framing and a comp roof. If you want more advice you can PM me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom