What Diesel Truck Would You Buy For $35k?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
going to replace my trusty '01 7.3 with a newer diesel. Ive been stuck on getting a 08+ Duramax but the dang things are expensive. Considering a 6.7 cummins or powerstroke now as well. What do yall think?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Any 6.7l PS 2013 or newer. .....11' and 12' had a couple of issues with wiring and cam IIRC from some reading hear and there. Chevy does have the best ride of the three, but I still like everything else that Ford offers over the others. Not sure that you'll go wrong with any of them since you're not using it for a farm truck. The Dodge bodies, frames, steering and interior don't hold up well, non of my farm/rancher friends will buy a Dodge anymore because of it. Post some pics when you buy :)

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any 6.7l PS 2013 or newer. .....11' and 12' had a couple of issues with wiring and cam IIRC from some reading hear and there. Chevy does have the best ride of the three, but I still like everything else that Ford offers over the others. Not sure that you'll go wrong with any of them since you're not using it for a farm truck. The Dodge bodies, frames, steering and interior don't hold up well, non of my farm/rancher friends will buy a Dodge anymore because of it. Post some pics when you buy :)
I would agree with this.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chevy Duramax.

images

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a guy who switched from the 7.3 powerstroke to the 6.7 cummins in 2010. I don't care for Chevy myself although it does have a better ride. Depends on what your gonna do. I know a few big ranches that buy at least 5 new trucks each year. One has always been Ford and one has always been Chevy. Both switched to Dodge this year because the Dodge could be bought for way less. I have always liked the the interior of the Ford better but I think it's tough to beat the cummins on dependability. I spend a few hours every morning climbing in and out of feedtrucks. The Chevy regular cab/large dash combo makes this very unpleasant. I'm currently feeding in a 12 Dodge reg cab and have plenty of storage behind the seat while I have tons of leg room. Like I say, it all depends on what your gonna do with it. For me, the 6.7 Ford seems like it has been a success so I would probably consider going back to them. But, word is a Dodge can be bought for 10k less than a Ford.
I also heard Ford shrunk their 100k warranty to 60k but I haven't investigated that.
We have a 15 Chevy feedtruck here also that's a reg cab (the other ranch hands feedtruck). I absolutely hate getting in and out of it. The ranch owner offered to buy me a new feedtruck last fall, I asked what brand, he said probably a Chevy, I said thanks but I will stick with this beat up 12 Dodge.

Last edited:

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
going to be used mainly to commute to work about an hour drive twice a week and to haul my skid steer around from time to time. Going to buy a 4 door 4x4 dually in any brand and will need the nicer/leather interior package. I like the ford interior the best, dodge 2nd, and chevy 3rd. exterior its a toss up between chevy and ford they both look good, dodges are pretty dang ugly to me. Engines (from the little research I have done) the cummins takes the win just because supposedly they are easier to work on than the other 2. And transmission I cant say, use to be the Allison was king but they all claim to have the best these days.

and @CHenry I love my 7.3 but it will never be able to compare to the more modern diesels as far as performance and luxury...much like they will never be able to compare to the 7.3 in reliability. Im willing to live with that.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you intend to pull near max loads the Ford's are supposed to be the ones to get the job done the best. It does look like ford has done away with the HEUI injection system and gone with a more modern setup like the others so the oil will be a little more forgiving if you are late on an oil change.

For modding and better mileage while not towing it's hard to beat the Dodge Cummins combo, as long as you are not heavy footed they will use a lot less fuel. A lot more mods on the market for the Cummins as well. The others are getting closer but the Cummins is still the small block chevy of the diesel world.

I love working on SBC's and enjoy a lot of the chevy vehicles but I really like my 03 Dakota v8 gasser. Driven a ford diesel a few years back and with the HEUI system I was always paranoid, and the oil filter SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not having a spin on filter is a killer proposition to me.

Anyway a little comparison guide with links to each engine design on the left.

http://www.dieselhub.com/compare/2018-diesel-guide.html

Personally I like the ability to easily tinker with things and the cummins is king since they have used the same design since 2007. You could literally just pick pretty much any build for a 1000 horse rig built off of the cummins and apply it to one built today http://www.dieselarmy.com/news/1000-hp-delivery-truck-you-have-to-see-this-ram/

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
going to be used mainly to commute to work about an hour drive twice a week and to haul my skid steer around from time to time. Going to buy a 4 door 4x4 dually in any brand and will need the nicer/leather interior package. I like the ford interior the best, dodge 2nd, and chevy 3rd. exterior its a toss up between chevy and ford they both look good, dodges are pretty dang ugly to me. Engines (from the little research I have done) the cummins takes the win just because supposedly they are easier to work on than the other 2. And transmission I cant say, use to be the Allison was king but they all claim to have the best these days.

and @CHenry I love my 7.3 but it will never be able to compare to the more modern diesels as far as performance and luxury...much like they will never be able to compare to the 7.3 in reliability. Im willing to live with that.
Unless you just like the looks of and want a dually, I'd go with a srw. Less fenders in your way for the majority of your needs, less tires to buy and srw gets around better when you need 4x4. Just my advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom