What Diesel Truck Would You Buy For $35k?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, sometimes the want has to win even if it costs more in the long run.

Yea I am hoping my "want" doesn't get the best of me. The years trucks I can afford are out of warranty and these days there is a lot of expensive crap that can go wrong, example: CP4 injection pump failure on the LML duramax and 6.7 powerstroke that wrecks your fuel system...I've seen repair costs in forums of $8-12k.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 LWB single wheel 4x4 here.
I absolutely love my truck. I love it so much that I decided against a new one at the end of last year and bought equipment I didn't need for the deduction.
3rd Dodge, 2nd Cummins.
My dad is on his 2nd Dodge cummins, 2016. He had a 2004 Cummins, then a 2008 Ford, then 2012 Chevy and now back to Dodge. He pulls a 40' 5th wheel and gettinger 11 mpg, 19-21 empty.
I have yet to have issues other than front end ball joints and bent a rear axle (so I was told when they replaced the axle seal). I had them do both axle seals while it was apart.
Unplugged the egr from day one. That's probably why I've never had engine issues, lol.
This is how we roll to Colorado every summer. 5 with plenty of room. Flat tow the Jeep. Don't even know it's there. The engine brake is probably the best feature ever, especially in the mountains. Switch tow/haul & engine brake, your set. I even use around town.
IMAG0222.jpg

100_0881.JPG

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 LWB single wheel 4x4 here.
I absolutely love my truck. I love it so much that I decided against a new one at the end of last year and bought equipment I didn't need for the deduction.
3rd Dodge, 2nd Cummins.
My dad is on his 2nd Dodge cummins, 2016. He had a 2004 Cummins, then a 2008 Ford, then 2012 Chevy and now back to Dodge. He pulls a 40' 5th wheel and gettinger 11 mpg, 19-21 empty.
I have yet to have issues other than front end ball joints and bent a rear axle (so I was told when they replaced the axle seal). I had them do both axle seals while it was apart.
Unplugged the egr from day one. That's probably why I've never had engine issues, lol.
This is how we roll to Colorado every summer. 5 with plenty of room. Flat tow the Jeep. Don't even know it's there. The engine brake is probably the best feature ever, especially in the mountains. Switch tow/haul & engine brake, your set. I even use around town.

The more research I do the more I lean towards a 2010-2012 cummins with the emissions crap deleted.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Emissions are the egr and the giant freaking exhaust filter. Delete those and programmer. $1900 and 10-20% better fuel mileage. Just don't put on the 5" exhaust. The drum will drive you batty. The roar is pretty cool, but ugh. 4" with muffler is much better to run down the road.
Check out Vernon Dodge in North Texas. Almost bought a used one from them when I bought mine. Dad bought his new one from Kingfisher, he'll of a deal.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The more research I do the more I lean towards a 2010-2012 cummins with the emissions crap deleted.
Yup. I fully deleted mine at 8k miles. I've done 5-6 for friends since.
Pretty simple to do it yourself if you like wrenching. Only takes a couple hours and your stock exhaust will salvage to pay for your "upgrades" in most cases.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another one of the opinionated things. I'm a powerstroke guy myself, like the duramax too. Never been a dodge fan, and can't stomach the sound of a cummins. I really don't think you could truly go wrong with any, whichever you like the most, I'd go with it. Even if it costs more, if you settle because you wanted to save money, you'll never be happy, or at least you'll always wonder.
If you are thinking new, I worked at Reynolds on NW Xpressway for a while, I can get you straight to the GSM so you don't have to deal with salesman. He's a great guy, and just wants to move trucks.
Good luck either way!

Latest posts

Top Bottom