What do you mean I CAN'T QUIT??!?!?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Well I once asked a group of employees if someone was holding a gun to their head and making them stay after one said it was like a prison around there. One of my more motivational moments as postmaster when I was at Shawnee. 😂. They didn’t quit but a couple found themselves unemployed when their performance didn’t improve.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talking about not taking care of current employees. Just past 15 yrs with the company a few months ago, 34 yrs in my current occupation. I drive 2 to 2 1/2 hrs a day to and from job sites. A opening closer to home became available that would be 30 to 40 minutes driving if that. Should have been a lateral move, no problem, then hire someone to take my position. Nope, were no going to create a hole to fill a whole. But one month later they move another employee to fill a whole and hiring a new employee to take his job which has no experience in current field. That I will end up probably training. The boss isn't real happy with me after I unloaded on him. They can create a whole to fill when it suits their purpose but not to benefit a veteran employee.
People want to talk bad about current generations, but this stuff is all kinds of the reasons that there's no such thing as company loyalty. The only way to get meaningful raises is to change jobs.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I once asked a group of employees if someone was holding a gun to their head and making them stay after one said it was like a prison around there. One of my more motivational moments as postmaster when I was at Shawnee. 😂. They didn’t quit but a couple found themselves unemployed when their performance didn’t improve.
Dang I bet that really set them back on their road to financial peace.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually had an employer try to tell me he was gonna sue me if I didn't come back to work on Monday. Yeah ... That's not how this works ...

This same attorney told me, and I quote, "Just because we give you sick leave and vacation time does not mean you can use it." I had a kid (grade school age) in the hospital with pneumonia at the time. And 2 more younger kids at home. 😳🤷
Sheesh. Sounds like this . . .

https://nondoc.com/2023/07/14/blackwell-teacher-quits-after-trying-to-take-maternity-leave/

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People want to talk bad about current generations, but this stuff is all kinds of the reasons that there's no such thing as company loyalty. The only way to get meaningful raises is to change jobs.
Yep, I'm actually doing this right now. When I got hired, they were promising me a good raise and more benefits at my 1-year mark (security companies have a massive turnover rate) and lo and behold, I didn't get my good raise (No raise at all actually) and no extra benefits, despite the fact that I've been one of the best guards this company has ever had. They would rather keep hiring new chuckle heads instead of paying the good guards more and then wondering why not many stay longer than 6-8 months (at the high end).

dabigboy

Marksman
Reaction score
Self employed here also, I ain't never going back. I used to think I was lazy and unmotivated, turns out I just don't do well working for the man. Once I started working on my own, I got my hustle on. I believe our work culture in the US is actually quite dysfunctional, it's too much like a master/slave relationship. Ironically, I also believe this is due in part to labor laws that were ostensibly written to help workers.

There have been points in my work where I could have hired help and grown, but I don't want the headache. Again, there is a bit of irony here in that much of my rationale behind staying solo is due to the complications and burdens brought on by labor laws.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a group of us that were employed in Waco and working for a sister company here in Tulsa on loan. Work on Waco was slowing down but Tulsa was busy so a few of us wanted to transfer. Policy was you needed approval from your manager to transfer. I said I'm out and manager signed the transfer paperwork. A friend's manager said he wouldn't do it. Friend said I'm either transferring or quitting. Manager still wouldn't sign. Friend quit, but policy is also if you quit you're not rehireable in the company so he just moved on from the company altogether (he knew this).

Latest posts

Top Bottom