What do you think constitutes "disability"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Docs said I have a 37% disability. I live in pain every day. I have nerve damage that can not be fixed. Some days are not too bad, but some days it hurts so bad that I do not leave the house. "If I am off work". I do get up and work every day. I spent most of my life in the oil field, so I know alot of people who have been hurt. I also know people who ran down and got the sign to hang in the car, because they are fat and want to park close so that they do not have to walk. Does it get abused by people? Yes. Do the guys I work with know that I have a disability? Most of them. No. They know that I hurt, but they also know that when they put in a 16 hour day that I am going to be there with them. I don't know how long I will be able to do it, but I think alot of it is your outlook on life. I have pride in working for what I have. Alot of people are looking for the easy way out.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, my examples were specifically geared to be examples of people who are at best marginally qualified for disability benefits. That was the whole point of this discussion. That was intentional. There is no point in talking about the cerebral palsy patients who are severely handicapped, the quadriplegics who depend on SSI for their only means of support, the stroke patients who cannot care for themselves, etc. The obviously severely disabled are not at issue and I have never heard ANYONE ever say they should be cut off.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know of a radio personality that has told many stories of how much "blow" he did when he was younger, he started to complain about how much insurance was and was contemplating disability....

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Docs said I have a 37% disability. I live in pain every day. I have nerve damage that can not be fixed. Some days are not too bad, but some days it hurts so bad that I do not leave the house. "If I am off work". I do get up and work every day. I spent most of my life in the oil field, so I know alot of people who have been hurt. I also know people who ran down and got the sign to hang in the car, because they are fat and want to park close so that they do not have to walk. Does it get abused by people? Yes. Do the guys I work with know that I have a disability? Most of them. No. They know that I hurt, but they also know that when they put in a 16 hour day that I am going to be there with them. I don't know how long I will be able to do it, but I think alot of it is your outlook on life. I have pride in working for what I have. Alot of people are looking for the easy way out.

Amen brother!!!!

Even though my wife says that I stand corrected and WILL BE LOOKING INTO DISABILITY ( funny how a wife can change your mind for you) I would still prefer to work for what I get. It is the way I was raised and what I believe. You get nothing good for free.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your not the boss of me!!! And I don't understand what you meen

Good grief ... He may not be the boss of you but there is a difference in being the boss of you and offering you sound, solid advice ... Let me break it down for you ...

1. Here, on OSA, I am the boss of you ...
2. Ronny gave you some advice that you might ought to contemplate quietly, in the privacy of your own mind, not take offense to and lash out ... If you don't know what he means go back and read Post #62 and then read Post #65. If that doesn't help shed any light, PM me. I'll be glad to explain it to you -- in detail ... Like only a woman can do ... :naughty: :)

There ... Better??

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amen brother!!!!

Even though my wife says that I stand corrected and WILL BE LOOKING INTO DISABILITY ( funny how a wife can change your mind for you) I would still prefer to work for what I get. It is the way I was raised and what I believe. You get nothing good for free.

:lmfao: You are married to a good woman ... :wink2: (And that SSI is not free. You paid into the system your entire working life ... Just saying ... :) )

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I was little, down in Jim Crow Dixie, I'm talking Deep South, people worked like dogs. They didn't have all this stuff. It was a different world, then. Very, very different. It wasn't like it's portrayed on TV.

Mad Dog Patriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good grief ... He may not be the boss of you but there is a difference in being the boss of you and offering you sound, solid advice ... Let me break it down for you ...

1. Here, on OSA, I am the boss of you ...
2. Ronny gave you some advice that you might ought to contemplate quietly, in the privacy of your own mind, not take offense to and lash out ... If you don't know what he means go back and read Post #62 and then read Post #65. If that doesn't help shed any light, PM me. I'll be glad to explain it to you -- in detail ... Like only a woman can do ... :naughty: :)

There ... Better??

I had some hot apple cider and now I eat it. I see the difference.

Mr. Ronny I did not mean to lash out at you.

Thank you for the advise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom