What is this concrete structure on rural land?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOKNLOD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. Now that I think of it, I know where two of those are. There’s one in Rush Springs. And then there’s one just west of Porter hill by stony point Road. I’ve seen people bringing water jugs to the one in Rush Springs in the past.

That brings back some memories...

When I was a kid we lived in out between Ninnekah and Cement for a while, with a well that didn't have good drinking water, and we'd drive to Rush each week and fill a bunch of jugs for drinking water.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is still open to the public.
https://www.devinewater.com/about/
I wanna go by but there is absolutely no address on their website for the well except “The Artesian Well on Hwy 11”.
Where is it, exactly?

"Locals have enjoyed visiting the well since 1954. A tradition for many families, the well inspires people who see the natural beauty of its location. deVine carries on this tradition by providing public access to the main well at no cost. We are proud to be such a large part of our local community."

Edit:
I didn't Google. Lol
Screenshot_20230415-152029.png

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanna go by but there is absolutely no address on their website for the well except “The Artesian Well on Hwy 11”.
Where is it, exactly?

"Locals have enjoyed visiting the well since 1954. A tradition for many families, the well inspires people who see the natural beauty of its location. deVine carries on this tradition by providing public access to the main well at no cost. We are proud to be such a large part of our local community."

Edit:
I didn't Google. Lol
View attachment 368186
Screenshot_20230415_152302_Samsung Internet.jpg

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's no way that address was there the whole time. Shows on the east side of great salt plains park. Idk if we're going there this summer or not. But it also shows 48 minutes west of I-35 so I might just add a stop on my next trip north

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no way that address was there the whole time. Shows on the east side of great salt plains park. Idk if we're going there this summer or not. But it also shows 48 minutes west of I-35 so I might just add a stop on my next trip north
The bottling plant has the M-F hours. The artesian well is open 24/7. They are about 3/8 of mile apart.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember as a kid, stepdad had a cabin near Lake Ouachita. We drove to the Hot Springs National Park in the mountain roads .There was a pipe coming from the side of the hill near a campground. We filled up several 5 gallon containers of mineral water.

Last edited:

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watch others drink from them first. If they don’t croak or have violent dysentery, it’s probably good water.

That being said, there are tens of thousands of homes in OK whose sole source of drinking water is from a well with no sanitation system needed.
What exactly is artesian water vs water? My grandfather had a well with the coldest water you can imagine. He lived near the Strang / Spavinaw area. I loved drawing it for him as the long narrow cylinder had to be dropped on a rope, listen for the the gargle sound then hoist it up on the pulley/setup. He never called it artesian water though

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What exactly is artesian water vs water? My grandfather had a well with the coldest water you can imagine. He lived near the Strang / Spavinaw area. I loved drawing it for him as the long narrow cylinder had to be dropped on a rope, listen for the the gargle sound then hoist it up on the pulley/setup. He never called it artesian water though

From Britannica:

artesian well, well from which water flows under natural pressure without pumping. It is dug or drilled wherever a gently dipping, permeable rock layer (such as sandstone) receives water along its outcrop at a level higher than the level of the surface of the ground at the well site. At the outcrop the water moves down into the aquifer (water-bearing layer) but is prevented from leaving it, by impermeable rock layers (such as shale) above and below it. Pressure from the water’s weight (hydrostatic pressure) forces water to the surface of a well drilled down into the aquifer; the pressure for the steady upflow is maintained by the continuing penetration of water into the aquifer at the intake area.

Artesian Well from Britannica

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay thanks, so you are basically saying this is a natural spring with a cap on it?

The water was continuous and someone had dug a trench to collect it for the deer to drink from. Tracks all over the place around it.
It’s similar, but not exactly the same. It works like a natural spring, but where a natural spring is flowing through a natural hole in an impermeable rock, somebody drilled (or if it’s old enough, dug) a the hole for the well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom