What rubber are you running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I run all terrain BFGs, no real issues, but then i drive a Tundra, so im allways bailin out chevys n fords n dodges.

Its not the rubber, its how ya slip when its wet.

Apogee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Michelin LTX MS/2

Definitely not hard core off-road tires, but are just sublime for highway use.

Have had good luck with Nitto tires for real off-road use.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
'09 Silverado 4X4 6.0 with BFG All Terrain T/A KO. 285/55/20's. I have 30,000 on them and they have about half of the tread left. They are awesome on the highway, I've had them up to 90 with no problems. They are kind of expensive though. I've even pulled out a stuck Toyota or two.......

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I love BFG tires, that juice just doesn't seem worth the squeeze anymore... Switched to Hankook a few years ago when 20" tires were still ungodly expensive. Ended up with superb wet/dry performance, quiet soft ride, and 60k on a set of gen 1 Ventus RS3's. Put 130k miles on two sets before selling the truck. Currently running Dynapro ATM's, loving them. Finally converted my father away from the overrated/hard/loud Michelin's. Also had a ton of luck with the Dynapro MT's on the jeep. Averaged $130/tire and still averaging 55k per set.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been running nothing but BFG All Terrain KOs on my trucks for years but I also have never really tested any other mid to upper 'premium' all terrain tire either so I cant really compare them to anything else but the tires that have come on the trucks when I bought them. I religiously check my pressures and rotate when Im supposed to, keep my alignments and front end parts up to date, etc, basically do all I can to get the most out of my tires and up my MPGs on all of my vehicles.

My 88' S-10 Blazer 4x4 (bought this little truck new and it now has 320k on the clock with a fresh rebuild on the 4.3l and tranny only 40k ago) has about 45k on its BFGs right now and they still look half legal but the truck mostly only gets to ride around in the dirt, mud and snow up in northern California at my place there where I keep the truck at. If I go to town I'll usually drive one of my cars or my other Blazer 4x4, a restored 94' K5 full size which just got a newer set of them put on it. I think I probably got a little over 50k or so out of its last set but the truck sees more road and highway use than my other Blazer, driving up and down the mountain, the curvy roads down in the foothills, and out on the highways. I also just put a set of em on a Mitsubishi AWD/4x4 SUV I bought end of last summer to drive around when Im home here in Oklahoma to which they totally smoothed out the ride in comparison to the tires that were on it when I bought it. Like I said I never tried another tire because Ive been happy with BFGs A/T KOs.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had the STT's

This is what I have on my Jeep and I absolutely love them. I've run them through the sloppy mud a couple of times and they cut through and gave traction like it was nothing. May or may not be too aggressive for what you're looking for, though, depending on the terrain conditions on your lease. You can hear them on the road, but it's only a moderate hum. I've only put 3,000 miles on them, so I can vouch for their longevity, but it seems many are getting 40,000+ out of them.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Michelin LTX MS/2

Definitely not hard core off-road tires, but are just sublime for highway use.

Have had good luck with Nitto tires for real off-road use.

Michelin LTX M/S2 - Expensive, but I really like them. They supposedly last for quite some time too.

I've been running some version of the Michelin LTX MS2 on my various SUVs since 1985. Pricey - yes; long-lasting - hell, yes; value - in $$$/mile, I've never had anybody claim better. Buy quality once, cry once. I bought the current SUV, a 2006 Nissan XTerra, out of a rental fleet in 2007 with 13k on the clock and still running OEM tires. Put up with those until the vehicle hit about 35K on the clock, put on the Michelin LTX MS2 like I'd had on the previous SUVs. Ran that set to 125K, put on new ones and now have 155K with multi-miles ahead of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom