What was your first employment (real job) ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1968 summer job at dads gas station, I was 11. Turned in to full time work after school when I was 14 since I had a motor cycle and was mobile. I just had to get a job at Byron Jacksons foundry after high school, 1975, because Union scale was $5.17/hr. Worked there two weeks when a 60 yearsold guy asked me if I would work there as long as he had...40 years! Ah hell no! He also only made $5.17/hr. I quit and enrolled in college.

AbundantEntropy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sales at the clothing store Gadzooks in the mall that is now out of business. I was top seller like 2 of the 3 months I worked there. I hated retail. Not much of a sales environment people person. I cam sell stuff to peipl that don't want, need and can't afford stuff so I got out of that business after it started eating at my conscience and made a lot of money

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First full time post high school was working for a large oil company in the tape library, over 250,000 tapes in that library. Fortunately in those days there was a lot of movement, worked my way up the chain with another position every 6 months. Finally ended up as a Console Operator. I've been in some for of IT ever since, it's much better on the Sales side.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad's best friend owned a auto body shop. I started working there after school when I was about 12. I would clean, take out the trash, and sweep the floors. By the time I was 16, I was painting cars after school for him. He taught me a lot. I worked for him until I was 18. I opened my own shop and ran it for couple of years. Sold out and went into the oilfield.
I still love walking into a body shop.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 32 years ago, right out of college, I went to work as a cementer for the Western Company of North America. The recruiter guaranteed me a location in Texas and then they posted me to Yukon. LOL. Worked out great, though. That's when I fell in love with this state.

OSU Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I worked for my dad in his warehouse for a summer when I was 13, worked more hours per day that summer than I do now. Made $3.25/hr. Got a job on my 14th birthday at a gas station stocking shelves, cleaning up, doing just about everything. The owner sold the gas station and the new owner didn't want anyone under 16 working so he cut me to 4 hours a week. I left there and a couple months later got a job at a dealership in their express oil change area. Did oil changes, tire rotations, all kinds of minor maintenance. Graduated HS and quit that job when college started. Framed houses and poured concrete through college. I hired on with a large commercial construction manager as a project engineer after college.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Farming and ranching since I was 12.
Worked a year as a car hop at A&W, then went to work for a neon sign company installing and maintaining them as an assistant.
Drove for Bekins van lines after HS before college, got drafted and the games began.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Faming/ranching as a kid some, and when I turned 16 I did some part time gigs to pay for fuel and insurance, but my first real job was a sound engineer for Big Air Audio/Box Talent. I was 18/19 going to bars, fraternity/sorority parties, private events, etc. and setting up a PA for bands. Boy did I get into some trouble! (Spent a night or two in the drunk tank back in those days; after parties mostly...I was off the clock).

Latest posts

Top Bottom