What would you do in this situation…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coworker says his relative works for company that sells the cheap bagged topsoil to the big box stores and says it is the stuff they dredge from river/creek bottoms. Last ones I bought smelled just like the muck from bottom of a lake so there might be some credence there. Hope he makes good PHG!

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Another update:

Glad I contacted the gentleman and he made it right. Dumped what was in my trailer back at his yard and one of the other guys was there loaded me up with some new. The other guy was pretty well in agreement with me that the large rocks should for sure not be there but of course the little tiny stuff happens a little bit. I can deal with some itty bitty rocks. He thought that there was some stuff leftover in the dump truck when top soil was hauled or the other guy scraped to low and got some rocks off the base of the yard. We have been getting record numbers of rain lately up here and stuff has been sticking to the sides of the dump truck he said. They’re going to be keeping a closer eye on where they have their top soil piled up. They apologized and they wish they had a way to screen their soil since there is some caliche in our top soil up here in Texas County.

I’ll build a screen and screen this soil to hopefully remove most if not all of the tiny rocks in it. I watched him dump it into my trailer slowly and I didn’t see a single large rock and honestly very few tiny rocks. As for now I threw a tarp over it since we have rain in our forecast this weekend…

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know what would happen you whoop his arse, probably get a different charge for that. I would talk to him if he did not make it right, take him to small claims court.
Yeah, that would be the civilized solution, but it’s the panhandle. There is still some old west justice out there. 😂

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another update:

Glad I contacted the gentleman and he made it right. Dumped what was in my trailer back at his yard and one of the other guys was there loaded me up with some new. The other guy was pretty well in agreement with me that the large rocks should for sure not be there but of course the little tiny stuff happens a little bit. I can deal with some itty bitty rocks. He thought that there was some stuff leftover in the dump truck when top soil was hauled or the other guy scraped to low and got some rocks off the base of the yard. We have been getting record numbers of rain lately up here and stuff has been sticking to the sides of the dump truck he said. They’re going to be keeping a closer eye on where they have their top soil piled up. They apologized and they wish they had a way to screen their soil since there is some caliche in our top soil up here in Texas County.

I’ll build a screen and screen this soil to hopefully remove most if not all of the tiny rocks in it. I watched him dump it into my trailer slowly and I didn’t see a single large rock and honestly very few tiny rocks. As for now I threw a tarp over it since we have rain in our forecast this weekend…

The wife, youngest son and I just made a quick trip up to Cimarron County on Friday evening and today. That country up there is as green as all get out. It has probably been decades since I saw the grass pastures and such with such a vivid green color.

All kinds of critters are probably just as happy as all get out with that greenery.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
For three years now I have been making my own compost. I mix everything including sticks and twigs when I create a pile. The sticks provide ventilation in the layers. I go around town sometimes and ask lawn guys for their bagged clippings. They usually give them gladly because they then don't have to mess with them. I through in good dark compost I already made as a starter.

I turn the piles every month to prevent mold and to mix the compost up keeping it moist and hot to break down the grasses and seeds of the weeds. That is what I have been using for leveling my yard. After that big ice storm in October years ago that took out my trees, I have been trying to get grass to grow. Every damn time I would seed, the rain would come and wash it away. For a year or two I thought I was farming instead of mowing.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The wife, youngest son and I just made a quick trip up to Cimarron County on Friday evening and today. That country up there is as green as all get out. It has probably been decades since I saw the grass pastures and such with such a vivid green color.

All kinds of critters are probably just as happy as all get out with that greenery.

We got more rain again last night. I think average over the area this weekend was 3”..

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got more rain again last night. I think average over the area this weekend was 3”..

I was listening to Michael Armstrong last night while Dawg was crawling all over me -- sheesh -- and he said Bethany had gotten over 2 inches of rain in "the last hour or so". I bet you probably got more than we did because he was also saying the storms had "settled down a little" before they got to the Metro area.

Been a wild "summer" so far, huh?? Are you guys still in a drought??

Latest posts

Top Bottom