What would you do in this situation…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The big question is how it was advertised.....

Just "Topsoil" or "screened topsoil"! ????

This. The topsoil I get is advertised as screened topsoil, and it‘s free of any rocks larger than pebble sized. In fact, I have to look to find any rocks at all. I’m fortunate also that my yard is comprised pretty much only of silt loam - I never hit any rocks when digging holes, only along the fence line where I’ve dumped broken pieces of concrete and bricks to keep the dogs from digging out.

Good luck screening that stuff without a front end loader, it’s going to be a lot of work!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lot of Caliche. This has what appears to be some river rock in it which makes me think it’s contaminated from his dump truck

It depends on where in the Panhandle. When we were working on the wife's dad's farm, the soil we dealt with was a sandy loam type soil. That was in the extreme NW corner of Texas county. Where I grew up and drove tractor 20-some miles southwest of there was pretty much the same. However, my grandfather had a quarter section of land about 7 miles south of Keyes that had a really rocky hill. Every time we worked that field with a one-way plow, the rocks were big enough that when the disks went over them, it lifted the one-way.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Update:

Gentleman claimed it’s normal from where they get it but he Offered to let me go dump it back at their yard and then they’d try to get me some better soil and refill my trailer.

If the next trailer full isn’t good then I’ll try to find someone else that has better soil. Kind of hard in my neck of the ‘woods’.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update:

Gentleman claimed it’s normal from where they get it but he Offered to let me go dump it back at their yard and then they’d try to get me some better soil and refill my trailer.

If the next trailer full isn’t good then I’ll try to find someone else that has better soil. Kind of hard in my neck of the ‘woods’.
Excuse he’s not selling top soil ! If he’s going to pass it off as topsoil at least he could clean it!!

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update:

Seems to be the norm with some people these days. If they scrape it off the top its called topsoil. Old days it meant you could use it in yard/garden with a little added amendments. I once needed a dump truck load of topsoil and called a kid in Guthrie that went to school with my kids. Also knew his Dad to be a great guy in the community. He brought the load and before i got through a 1/4 of it I could have repaired an old 1970's station wagon with the car parts in it. Found out he was getting the dirt from a old salvage yard. He offered to get some better next time. I chose to not be a next time with him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom