Who knows AC stuff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife woke me up in the middle of the night and said there was a leak in our master closet. I go in there and there's a strip on the ceiling, which was obviously the joint mud/tape in the sheet rock soaked from something. Nothing I could immediately do since it was dark, so I waited until this morning to look. No roof leak, so I started pulling back the blown in insulation around where my closet would be, and it's definitely the AC leaking condensation. The plastic overflow pan was partially full, but not enough to trip the sensor. I sucked all the water out of that, and then found ANOTHER area that was wet, from a tiny pin hole in the overflow pan. Anyways, while I was in that area I found a tiny weep hole in one of the end boxes that the ducting connects to, down in the corner. Besides checking my drain tube for blockage, what else should I look for? Or should I call a pro and find out why my AC is so soggy?

I dried that corner of the overflow pan out, and put some heavy duty exterior caulk around the hole on the inside and outside to fix that issue.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but it sure sounds like you have a stopped up drain pipe. I used to have problems with mine clogging up with mold, but now when I change the air filter every three months I pour some bleach down it.

D

daddyof3_101

Im an Hvac tech. You have either a stopped up drain line or you have other issues. You may be low on refridgerant and the coil iced up and then thawed out. Could be a dirty filter keeping the pressures to low. Or it could be the ambiant temp was to low and the pressures dropped and part way froze up the coil. It would be worth it in my opinion to just watch it for the next few days. If the line did back up then they make some tablets that you can drop in the line about once a month that will keep any algae or slime from growing. They work really well. Good luck man.

Souperphly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I the a/c is cooling the house it is most likely a stopped up drain follow the coil drain to where it goes outside and pull on it with a shop vac.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The drain was definitely clogged up. Have a few areas that were wet earlier, that still are, but they don't seem as damp. I think the whole damn thing just got backed up. Going to watch it a few days and see where it goes.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the ceiling dried out, but apparently some of it hadn't. I went to go to bed this evening and the ceiling was dripping in the closet. NOT happy at all. Went back up, the secondary pain was pretty full again, but the main condenser drain pipe didn't have ANY water coming out of it. The duct boxes on the end of the unit(very technical I know, I don't know what it's called), where the ducting comes out of to go to the vents, those are sweating on the bottom and that's where a large majority of our water has come from. We did not have this problem at all last year, and I don't know what changed this year to cause it. It's 11 pm and I've got the drip stopped and a fan drying out the ceiling from above, but I'm afraid to even run the AC. I guess I will be calling AirCo out again and paying another diag fee to have them look at it again. Something is definitely wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom