1% tip, on expensive lunch. **and my rant on pay, gratuity, and salary jobs**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend of mine who is the "know it all" type and she happens to stretch the truth a LOT in the process so you can never really trust what she says too much.

With her 3 yrs of restaurant experience she claimed that its THE LAW that if your tips plus hourly wage dont combine to meet the min. wage that the restaurant has to cover the rest. So if your basic wage plus tips came out to about $5/hr then the restaurant had to pay and additional 2.22 to ensure that got paid the min. wage. And to beat the system her and her fellow employees at said restaurant would always claim they got less tips than what they actually did to get paid more from the employer.

I called BS obviously but with people like that who have the conviction of a preacher you just have to let it go and change the topic. I've never worked in a restaurant so I just want someone else to confirm what my common sense was telling me. haha

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend of mine who is the "know it all" type and she happens to stretch the truth a LOT in the process so you can never really trust what she says too much.

With her 3 yrs of restaurant experience she claimed that its THE LAW that if your tips plus hourly wage dont combine to meet the min. wage that the restaurant has to cover the rest. So if your basic wage plus tips came out to about $5/hr then the restaurant had to pay and additional 2.22 to ensure that got paid the min. wage. And to beat the system her and her fellow employees at said restaurant would always claim they got less tips than what they actually did to get paid more from the employer.

I called BS obviously but with people like that who have the conviction of a preacher you just have to let it go and change the topic. I've never worked in a restaurant so I just want someone else to confirm what my common sense was telling me. haha

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an employee is subject to both the federal and state wage laws, the employee is entitled to the provisions which provides the greater benefits.

getchurgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some years ago I was watching Third Rock FromThe Sun and John Lithgow's character took the "family" out to eat and he had just learned about humans tipping. He then placed a stack of $1 bills on the table and then told the waiter/waitress that that was the "potential tip" and as the meal progressed if the server made a mistake, the food was not any good or service was bad, he would remove some money from the stack. I think the way he did it was perfect and have always threatened to do the same thing. Seems like that would be very entertaining. BTW, I spent 26 years in the food service industry.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
basically OP posted a hoax about a "tip" being written as "get a real job" which then started the rest of the conversations, in a nutshell

True, However, it was not known as a hoax to the OP at the time of posting. When the article was originally read, it was posted by Yahoo news as stated (although not copy pasted) as if it were true. apparently yahoo was misinformed or wrong, and it was the next morning or day when it was released that it was a doctored receipt and a hoax.

so the scam of the 99% movement worked for less than 12 hours as it appears, it at least had yahoo fooled for a few hours. (probably not that hard to do i suppose)

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say serve the guy a Loogie burger the next time he comes in and laugh while you watch him eat it!

1. I just hope the "waiter" does not have AIDS or some other disease.
2. I also hope the "waiter" gets his butt kicked--legally and financially.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/04/man-noticed-something-utterly-disgusting-in-his-drink-after-poor-service-at-chilis-that-had-police-getting-involved/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Firewire&utm_campaign=Firewire%20-%20HORIZON%206-4-15%20FINAL
Man Noticed Something Utterly Disgusting in His Drink After Poor Service at Chili’s That Had Police Getting Involved
Jun. 4, 2015 11:44am - Mike Opelka

PS---I do tip unless the service is bad.

Last edited:

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/04/man-noticed-something-utterly-disgusting-in-his-drink-after-poor-service-at-chilis-that-had-police-getting-involved/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Firewire&utm_campaign=Firewire%20-%20HORIZON%206-4-15%20FINAL
Man Noticed Something Utterly Disgusting in His Drink After Poor Service at Chili’s That Had Police Getting Involved

:rolleyes2 ... ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't guarantee a full section the whole shift, most will only have a few tables the first hour or two and same for the last hour or two. They will be cleaning, doing side or busy work for 3 an hour. Also, most restaurants only allow their server to have a 3-4 table section, but use the teamwork concept, ie help take food to other tables, refills etc., on top of that, the tip out a percentage to the busboys, bartenders, hostesses, and some times for silverware rolling etc based on sales. So if you have a 100 tab, and tip 5 bucks, they tip the bar and hostess staff 3 whether they did anything or not, so you just left em 2 bucks.... Start tipping better.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Took you a while, but you finally found a story to make your point. Lmfao

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That is true, however, if a waiter can't make more than min wage, they restaurant wont keep them because they obviously arent very good. I grew up in restaurants, have worked in restaurants, and my wife managed a restaurant while going through nursing school. I have never known a server to claim less than minimum wage. They will claim less so they dont have to pay taxes, but never to get more from the restaurant. Sure fire way to get fired.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't guarantee a full section the whole shift, most will only have a few tables the first hour or two and same for the last hour or two. They will be cleaning, doing side or busy work for 3 an hour. Also, most restaurants only allow their server to have a 3-4 table section, but use the teamwork concept, ie help take food to other tables, refills etc., on top of that, the tip out a percentage to the busboys, bartenders, hostesses, and some times for silverware rolling etc based on sales. So if you have a 100 tab, and tip 5 bucks, they tip the bar and hostess staff 3 whether they did anything or not, so you just left em 2 bucks.... Start tipping better.

That is true, however, if a waiter can't make more than min wage, they restaurant wont keep them because they obviously arent very good. I grew up in restaurants, have worked in restaurants, and my wife managed a restaurant while going through nursing school. I have never known a server to claim less than minimum wage. They will claim less so they dont have to pay taxes, but never to get more from the restaurant. Sure fire way to get fired.

OP posted in 2012

Latest posts

Top Bottom