Anybody else ever been asked for vehicle registration during traffic stop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used to be pretty typical when out of state. Most of the states now have their networks tied together where they can check. I carry a vehicle registration in all of my vehicles anyway,

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sold a truck to a buddy who moved to NY from OR. Shortly after he calls and asked where the registration was. He had to have it for new tags or plates or something. I told him I always toss that paper in the trash and he was puzzled by this

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see more people pulled over on I-10 through Louisiana than any other state. They are doing some serious revenue generating down there.

Don't speed, especially on the causeway. I saw what a catastrophe a wreck on the causeway can be, it is almost impossible to get an ambulance to the scene and usually requires a helicopter flight if the traffic is stopped, plus you still have to get the victim to a crossover where the chopper can land. Excessively zealous speed enforcement on the causeway is one of the few places I think it's truly justifiable as a public safety issue.

Were you doing 90 on I-49?! I had the exact same thing happen to me.
Ugghhhh 49 sucks, I like taking backroads so I don't have to take 49 down if I'm not in a hurry.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has been law as far back as the late 1980's that i know of ,that you must have registration in the vehicle and this includes your boat.
I have been asked for it many many times..fact i got my first ticket when i was 12.
Yes 12.. then i got many many more .. each time i got stopped i got 3 more tickets and more points and more suspensions.
I was finally down on points and suspensions by the time i was 21 and was able to take my driving test.

I failed! hands not at 10 and 2 ...NO kidding.. I let the cop lady out of the car and told i would see her next week and drove off. I was driving my hood scooped 12 second chevy nova.. Had to get under her skin.
I know the traffic laws pretty well.
If you do not have the insurance card in the vehicle you will also receive a ticket..Even if you have insurance..needs to be in vehicle.
If you forget to put the new one in there , never fess up.. go to court or DA and tell them it was under the floor mat in the back...Law does not state that you must find it and surrender it immediately.. just a heads up.
Oh Lying is bad...Highly accepted in our society but still bad.

Another note on registrations.
There are a few states that you do not have to Title a 35 year old vehicle but they are registered and have registration.
That is the only proof of ownership.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got pulled over in PA. Had Indian plates. Had my registration,insurance and DL ready. 45 mins later he said "I guess you can go but we don't acknowledge those plates. I swear he sat in his car for at least 30mins.

There should be a time limit on traffic stops. ...like 10 mins or you can't get a ticket.

oh and he was a city cop not a trooper.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a requirement in almost every state except Oklahoma. So I always carry a copy in the glove box. It's similar to not having to license a trailer in Oklahoma. I've been stopped in Kansas Missouri Tennessee Kentucky Illinois and South Dakota simply for not having a tag on a stock trailer. Was told by Illinois trooper that I had to obey the laws of the state I was in while traveling not home state. Have one on there now just to avoid bullchit run ins with Johnny law now.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom