Anybody else ever been asked for vehicle registration during traffic stop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I practically live on the road so I always keep mine in all of my vehicles, a habit from living in California. Never been asked in Oklahoma the 10 years Ive been here and been stopped but cops in other states its normal to be asked for it.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This reminds me of something that happened to a friend and I. Around 2002 we drove his truck all the way to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina to pick his brother up who was getting out of the Marines. Upon getting there, we couldn't get his truck on the base due to him not having his registration card in the truck. My friend told them that Oklahoma didn't require it. They didn't believe it and told him he was lying.

We ended up getting on base with the truck. His brother just told the gate guard the story and he waved us through.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During "spread eagle" checks entering military posts they request/require registration. During vehicle checks at the units it is also checked like before going on trips or four day holidays. We carry ours.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do they charge me $82 dollars to get a new one then...LOL
$2 for the paper and ink, $80 for the OTC slush fund.

FWIW, I rarely have roadside conferences with LEOs, but I have had them in Oklahoma, Texas, and Missouri over the last 30 years, and I've never been asked for registration. Actually, on second thought, the nice TX DPS officer might've asked me for registration, but he didn't say anything about it when I handed him my OKDL and SDA license. Might've had something to do with having forgotten to put the new insurance card in my wallet, so I only had the expired one for the car I was driving and the current one for the truck. (Worked out OK in the end--he had me cold for 80 in a 70, but he wrote a warning for that and gave me a ticket for no insurance, which a fax to the Tarrant County Courthouse resolved most satisfactorily.)

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there something about having to carry it if you are over a certain weight?

I remember something about it years ago when I got stopped pulling a trailer with way too much weight on it, and speeding.

I have kept it in the glove box ever since, but never had to show it.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there something about having to carry it if you are over a certain weight?

I remember something about it years ago when I got stopped pulling a trailer with way too much weight on it, and speeding.

I have kept it in the glove box ever since, but never had to show it.

Is this some prejudice against ..."large people"

JK.. ;)

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got pulled over a few weeks ago by OHP for speeding one night and apparently some of the OHP officers dont ask to see the insurance card any more here. He asked for my DL, I handed him my DL and CCL(its a habit now to hand them that with my DL even if Im not carrying, which I wasnt) and asked if he needed to see my insurance card as he was walking away and he said he didnt need to see it. I figured he scanned my tag or they know youre current on your insurance when they call in now.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sir for $2 I can take your tag number to a local Tag Office and they will print me off a copy of your Vehical Registration complete with your full name and address. It is public info. But they do charge $2 for the copy of it.

No. That's a violation of the Drivers Privacy Protection Act.

LOL!!! Take the next Tag Number you lay eyes on to the Tag Office and plop your $2 bucks down and see what you get.

Latest posts

Top Bottom