Anybody else ever been asked for vehicle registration during traffic stop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got pulled over a few weeks ago by OHP for speeding one night and apparently some of the OHP officers dont ask to see the insurance card any more here. He asked for my DL, I handed him my DL and CCL(its a habit now to hand them that with my DL even if Im not carrying, which I wasnt) and asked if he needed to see my insurance card as he was walking away and he said he didnt need to see it. I figured he scanned my tag or they know youre current on your insurance when they call in now.
As I understand it, the insurance agencies have to report to the state electronically now, so they (OHP, at least) know if you have insurance.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand it, the insurance agencies have to report to the state electronically now, so they (OHP, at least) know if you have insurance.

They do, but it does not absolve of the requirement to carry valid proof of insurance. If the state database is down,(and it is every time I go to tag a vehicle so they have to call me hours later to come back) then they can not verify your insurance. FYI I read somewhere Oklahoma is accepting electronic verifications on your smart phone.

Speaking of my truck tag is expired at midnight, grrr

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keeping the registration they give you when you renew your tag can save you big bucks when some lowlife sneaks behind your parked car and removes the stickers from the plate or just steals the plate. Cost for a new sticker then is nominal when you have that registration to take w/you to the tag office.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do, but it does not absolve of the requirement to carry valid proof of insurance.
I'm not arguing that it does, only that it's a likely explanation why he wasn't asked for insurance verification.
FYI I read somewhere Oklahoma is accepting electronic verifications on your smart phone.
I've seen it on the Geico commercials. Maybe we can convince all the drug dealers and other ne'er-do-wells to use Geico, then the cops won't have to break into their smartphones to search them...

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. You do not need to carry registration in OK.
2. When your tag is run it shows your insurance info.
3. You can show electronic proof of insurance, but you have to show your actual drivers license card.

Latest posts

Top Bottom