Anybody

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKC MAD COW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't offer to hunt hogs anymore. I now offer a "hog relocation" service. Relocating them to my freezer.

Although we all hate hearing people compain about hogs and then not letting us hunt, such is life. Honestly, I'd would be just like them. I don't know you from jack and I sure don't want you running around my land with a gun. With that being said, you have to build a relationship with some of these guys.

I talk to everybody I know about hog hunting every chance I get. I never ask right away, I work it slowly and develope a relationship. Eventually I'll get an offer to come out.

Every once in a while you might get lucky hearing the old farmer at the hardware store mention his hog problem. That's like waiting for the girl at the bar to announce she wants "hook up" tonight.

You're going to pay one way or another to hunt on other peoples land. Don't sit back and wait for people to say "come on out and hunt." Build those relationships.

Sorry, ending rant now.

-Thom

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't offer to hunt hogs anymore. I now offer a "hog relocation" service. Relocating them to my freezer.

Although we all hate hearing people compain about hogs and then not letting us hunt, such is life. Honestly, I'd would be just like them. I don't know you from jack and I sure don't want you running around my land with a gun. With that being said, you have to build a relationship with some of these guys.

I talk to everybody I know about hog hunting every chance I get. I never ask right away, I work it slowly and develope a relationship. Eventually I'll get an offer to come out.

Every once in a while you might get lucky hearing the old farmer at the hardware store mention his hog problem. That's like waiting for the girl at the bar to announce she wants "hook up" tonight.

You're going to pay one way or another to hunt on other peoples land. Don't sit back and wait for people to say "come on out and hunt." Build those relationships.

Sorry, ending rant now.

-Thom
This I can understand, but it seems to me that most people want money around here. I guess I am just used to people not caring if you get rid of their pests for them. Maybe many of them have gotten jaded around here from people who went out on their land to hunt, and caused them a headache by leaving the place a big mess. I have noticed that in most of the public hunting areas around here there is trash everywhere! Maybe that is why so many people charge around here. Its just one of my pet peeves about Oklahoma. I love this state, but it seems that they charge a ton of money to hunt small deer, small populations of quail, and dove. I just don't get it.

Edit: My wife just reminded me that most people around here do not use their land for growing crops, so deer and hogs being on their land is not a huge problem. I guess that is the difference, when you only use your land for hunting and fishing vs. using your land to grow crops that deer and hogs destroy. I guess I can kind of see it that way.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little insight maybe from someone who's been on both sides of the fence. It appears that most of the posters are from the city. How many of you have gone out and offered to spend the day working for and getting to know farmer Jones? Who have stopped and offered to spend a couple of hours building fence or hauling hay? The only thing he knows about you is your from the city and you want to hunt. BFD! Not intending to offend anyone or where you live, but that man does not know you and why should he take a chance on yoiu shooting one of his animals, leaving his gate open, tearing his fence down, or stealing his property. Yep, I've had all the above done be guys i've given permission to hunt and fish. All it takes is one incident and all are screwed.
Also hunting is getting to be big business, and should it not be? Should a man not be compensated for something he has worked hard all his life for, whether it

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Um, yeah you know you have to apply for a license in Arizona to hunt javelina, right? Oh, and you're only allowed to kill one.

I know but the guys get fed up with em tearing their stuff up, so they'd let me and a couple of buddies clear em out.

Javelinas usually run is packs ranging from 10 to 12, up to 90-100(herds)

and if they get on your land they can cause 1 hell of a mess.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know but the guys get fed up with em tearing their stuff up, so they'd let me and a couple of buddies clear em out.

Javelinas usually run is packs ranging from 10 to 12, up to 90-100(herds)

and if they get on your land they can cause 1 hell of a mess.
Well in that case, its perfectly understandable to be a poacher.

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little insight maybe from someone who's been on both sides of the fence. It appears that most of the posters are from the city. How many of you have gone out and offered to spend the day working for and getting to know farmer Jones? Who have stopped and offered to spend a couple of hours building fence or hauling hay? The only thing he knows about you is your from the city and you want to hunt. BFD! Not intending to offend anyone or where you live, but that man does not know you and why should he take a chance on yoiu shooting one of his animals, leaving his gate open, tearing his fence down, or stealing his property. Yep, I've had all the above done be guys i've given permission to hunt and fish. All it takes is one incident and all are screwed.
Also hunting is getting to be big business, and should it not be? Should a man not be compensated for something he has worked hard all his life for, whether it
I do live in the city now, but I am no where near from the city. The wife is also from the country. you ever been out detasseling and roguing corn fields all summer? I know work, so that is really all that i have to say on that.

I do agree about the hunters tearing up the area, I really can not believe how many spent shells, cigaret butts, plastic bottles and other trash are out on the public areas. It really is disgusting. I can see why people would be hesitant to let people come out for that reason. it ticks me off that it is on our public land.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well good luck. With the apparent outrageous pig infestation in Oklahoma is sure is odd that no one will let you kill them off their land. Farmers ***** about hogs tearing up their land and crops but when you tell them you will kill them and haul them away for free, they flat refuse.

Hub

I agree so much with you on this and it just gauls me. I have seen what wild hogs do to pastures and any grassland. I could get into some other things on this, but shall refrain for the time being regarding the landowners who want to rid their land of these vermin. If the wild hogs ever, ever get to the places of friends of mine whom I have discussed this with in the past, I will ring your bell. I won't say where they are located, their farming and ranching operations that is, but the hogs haven't arrived there yet, but I think they will in a few years or less, and they are keeping a close vigil for them.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do live in the city now, but I am no where near from the city. The wife is also from the country. you ever been out detasseling and roguing corn fields all summer? I know work, so that is really all that i have to say on that.

I do agree about the hunters tearing up the area, I really can not believe how many spent shells, cigaret butts, plastic bottles and other trash are out on the public areas. It really is disgusting. I can see why people would be hesitant to let people come out for that reason. it ticks me off that it is on our public land.

You are correct in your observation. I grew up in rural areas, plowed, rotary hoed, vaccinated cattle, hauled hay, repaired fence, cut wheat, picked cotton, I MEAN PICKED COTTON by hand in the fifties, I know the people I speak of, and I may live in the city but have very close and many ties with many ranchers/farmers who know me. Now, do they trust these city slickers who don't know what is going on? NO. I have seen many hunting on land which they had no permission to do so, but there are many, many hunters living in the city areas who have the greatest respect for the rural areas and so forth, and many times they respect those areas far greater than some of the locals, and I will hunt with these guys from the city any day of the week, because they understand and have respect for our life and hunting heritage. Just happens where ever we go or live. Wasn't trying to flame anyone, but there are good and bad everywhere we hunt. Thanks to all for your listening to an ol' ones rant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom