Anybody

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many times have you guys met these bastages that walk around incessantly bitching about hogs, yet turned you down when you asked to hunt them?

Did you ask them is they are hunters themselves, or if they let family/friends hunt?
Just because they turn you down doesn't mean they don't allow hunting. I know I would be more apt to let family and friend hunt before I let strangers hunt.

I don't get it. You can walk into your buddies house and grab a beer and a snack from his fridge, but do you expect to be able to do that at every house on the street? Family and freinds get preference over strangers usually.

Bottom line guys, the numbers prove hunting is not effective at controlling hogs. Trapping is much more effective. They are not like deer, thew diddle like rabbits and have 6-12 in a litter, and reach sexual maturity very quickly. A resouce manager in Ok showed the facts on paper to me recently on how innefective hunting is at stopping feral hogs.

If I had a hog problem on land I busted my ass for, I'm not gonna let a stranger wander all over it in the hopes he might shoot 1-2 out of hundreds. Not worth the disturbance to my land, especially if I am a hunter myself. Especially right before deer season.

This thread is like complaining because a married woman turned you down for a date. "She was bitching her husband needs to mow the grass, but she won't go out with me. What a *****."

Peoples land is there home. If they don't want me on it I can't blame them.

Your not some farmers hero who is going to rid all hogs from the bastage farmers property. You might kill 1-2, but don't act like he is an idiot because you could make his problem go away.

Most everytime I have been denied hunting permission it is because the owner has already given permission to someone else. You can't let everybody on.

Just some thoughts from a lowly peasant whose lifelong dream and goal is to be one of those greedy bastage landowners who only lets a select few on it.:wink2:

If I ever am lucky enought to buy a chunk, I'll be sure to go to the hardaware store and ***** about pests.:D

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have learned over the years to be very careful who I take hunting. I have had guys go back to land I had permission on and tell the landowner that I said they could hunt and it cost me a good place. Most landowners have had bad experiences with guys that call themselves hunters and are very reluctant to let you hunt unless they know you or know of you. There are hogs to hunt out there on public land...Love Valley for one. Most of the pha's in eastern OK have hogs too. Get out there and work at finding them and killing them. I guarantee you can get some if you try. They leave a lot of sign. Good luck and good hunting.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone makes good points here. Especially about weary land owners. I once asked a childhood friend of mine who owns a farm and a few hundred acres if he ever hunts or fishes. He knew exactly what I was getting at. The first thing he said was, "You wanna help out around the farm? I got a job for ya" I helped him for 2 weeks during that summer building stables and all kinds of other stuff for his horses. After that he said maybe we can go hunting sometime. Granted I woulda helped him build stables for free, but even after knowing him 20 years, he wasn't gonna let me hunt his land for nothing.

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get it. You can walk into your buddies house and grab a beer and a snack from his fridge, but do you expect to be able to do that at every house on the street? Family and freinds get preference over strangers usually.

for the farmers that i know (back up north), this is not a snack out of their fridge, this is fixing their fridge.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for the farmers that i know (back up north), this is not a snack out of their fridge, this is fixing their fridge.

This isn't the north, it's Oklahoma. Even when I lived in Wyoming you couldn't find private land to hunt antelope on for free unless you knew somebody. These people don't hunt antelope, I've seen a farmer mow a heard down with a mini-30 and leave them lay. There were no fences, no cattle, no gates but if they didn't know you or someone you know, it wasn't happening. I ended up befriending 4 or 5 ranchers and never did figure out what a few of them did, they looked and dressed like ranchers and drove trucks with hay spears, but I never saw a damn head of cattle or a horse

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't the north, it's Oklahoma. Even when I lived in Wyoming you couldn't find private land to hunt antelope on for free unless you knew somebody. These people don't hunt antelope, I've seen a farmer mow a heard down with a mini-30 and leave them lay. There were no fences, no cattle, no gates but if they didn't know you or someone you know, it wasn't happening. I ended up befriending 4 or 5 ranchers and never did figure out what a few of them did, they looked and dressed like ranchers and drove trucks with hay spears, but I never saw a damn head of cattle or a horse

that is really weird, maybe retired california folk.

well, i did find some one today who is going to let me kill some hogs. i did not know that they were a problem around the tulsa area. went out to the land (bristow area) and saw a huge waller. I really am excited about going back in a couple of weeks.

I do have one question though, the guy said that i could hunt there, but it is his indian land. Is it ok for a white guy to hunt on indian land? and is it true that he can hunt what ever, when ever he wants on his indian land?

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
I have learned over the years to be very careful who I take hunting. I have had guys go back to land I had permission on and tell the landowner that I said they could hunt and it cost me a good place. Most landowners have had bad experiences with guys that call themselves hunters and are very reluctant to let you hunt unless they know you or know of you.

I grew up in northern oklahoma and returned after being gone for twenty five years. I bought my farm in the late 90's and I let only a couple of very close friends onto my farm. In the first few years I experienced more "SLOB" hunters from the city then I could believe. The best one was the secod year I had my farm. Goofballs drove 300 yards throgh a ready to harvest soybean field because they saw a buck by the creek. Oh, they got stuck by the creek and walked up to my house bold as brass and wanted me to pull them out. After the sherriff arrived I asked them what made them think they could do what they did. The reply was " we thought you wouldn't mind'. I have a life long friend who is a "RESPONSIBLE" coon hunter, he has lamented to me that because of the aditude of many coon hunters he has lost 90 % of his places to run.

We should all take a hard look at how we portray ourselves to not only landowners but to the public as well. I have been on both sides of the fence and if we don't improve our overall image then things are going to only get worse.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
that is really weird, maybe retired california folk.

well, i did find some one today who is going to let me kill some hogs. i did not know that they were a problem around the tulsa area. went out to the land (bristow area) and saw a huge waller. I really am excited about going back in a couple of weeks.

I do have one question though, the guy said that i could hunt there, but it is his indian land. Is it ok for a white guy to hunt on indian land? and is it true that he can hunt what ever, when ever he wants on his indian land?

I got some buddies who live on indian land out here and they say the same thing, they have a couple hundred acres just east of town and they hunt whatever they want year round.

and did you hunt out here by bristow or closer to the depew-milfay area, they have alot more indian land out that way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom