Beans and Cornbread Recipe.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

Man I've been hankerin' for a good bowl of pinto beans, some cornbread, a glass of ice cold water with green onions in it with iron skillet fried potatoes. Fresh, ice cold, non-sweet ice tea..........real NOT instant.........instant tea is fightin' words to me!!!Here's the problem.........I've never gotten a recipe from any of my family........dang it!!!:buttkick:

My mom made a good bowl of beans, my granddad made a very good bowl of beans and my father-inlaw made the best I've ever eaten....but I didn't get their recipe before they passed on......:smash:

***I've got all the other recipes*** I just need the pinto beans recipe.

I've been to youtube but I want to ask here.

I know I've seen people boil the beans first, I've seen them soak them over night, then I've seen a few just rinse them and slow cook them. I want your version...please.

****NO tomato juice or any other funky stuff** I guess( if I remember correctly) water, spices, beans, an onion, and then some sort of pork.

The recipe, please tell how you cook them(on the stove, slow cooker, etc.) how long under heat, what setting of heat, and ingredients. Dang it, I'm tired of buying my bowl of pinto beans from restaurants and bbq shacks.

Thanks!!!!

*** If you want, throw in a good recipe on greens.......collard, mustard, etc.****

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually, but not always, soak the beans overnight in water in the fridge.
Less chance of burning them by running out of water during cooking.

I alternate between using ham or pork as the meat portion but sometimes use hamburger instead.
Always start off with some picante sauce or salsa added to the beans and water, diced onions if you like.
I've even used a can of rotel before with good results.

I like my beans a bit spicy so I add a diced jalapeno and some crushed red pepper.
Salt and season to taste.

About 30 minutes before finish mash some of the beans against the side of the crock pot to thicken the soup.
I make a crock pot full and freeze about half of it for later.

Besides cornbread I love me some chow chow on the side.

Also, about every 3rd time I prefer to switch to white beans and ham instead of pinto beans.
Then when I go back to the pinto beans I appreciate them more.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife doesn't use recipes often, but she swears by slow cooking them in the crockpot with a ham hock (and a little salt) for at least 8 hours on low heat. She throws in some rotel in the last 30 minutes or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you this.
If you do the "quick soak" where you boil the beans for two minutes, then let 'em sit for a hour before cooking. They seem to cook a bit quicker, but also the soup or juice isn't as thick as if you soaked the beans overnight. When you dump out the water from the quick soak, it just smells like you're pouring out a lot of the starch. **This may not be true, but it smells like starchy water you're pouring out.**

Directions --
Sort and rinse one pound of pinto beans. Put 6 - 8 cups of water in the pot and when it starts getting hot, pour the beans in. When you see the very first signs of boiling, start timing. Take the beans off the heat after two minutes and slap a lid on the pot. Wait one hour.

Pour out water and rinse beans. Put beans in pot with enough fresh, hot water to cover. I like to put underneath the beans one big onion chopped, about 1.5 teaspoons red pepper flakes and maybe a pound of cut up cajun sausage. [Not the Johnsonville brand. YMMV.]

Get beans to boil, then cut down to simmer. Cook with lid slightly tilted, stirring occasionally, for 2 - 3 hours until done. May need to add more water. If there's too much water, at the end I scoop that out and have it in a bowl with some cornbread just for quality assurance purposes.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cohiba, you've already had some good ideas thrown your way but everyone left out the number one thing you can do to make better beans...You can slow cook em, or cook em on top of the stove..You can soak em or just cook em right out of the bag..You can use bacon, ham or what ever to help season them..BUT the number one thing to remember is to never ever cook em with water..Always cook em with chicken broth and you can never go wrong..Usually with a pound of beans you'll need a 32 oz box of broth to get them started and a second one to just add a couple of times..I normally use the broth in the bottom of a good baked chicken and also the 32 oz box..Also..when cooking Northern or Navy beans, season them the way you would normally like and also use the chicken broth but a few minutes before you're ready to enjoy them just go ahead and add about a cup or two of heavy cream......Man, you'll be glad you did.......Now to your cornbread...once again there are many different recipes and all are probably good..but whichever recipe you decide on be sure to add a good handful or two is better of Mac's Chicharrones Pork Cracklins..The very best cracklins you can buy..Then...pour you batter in a cast iron skillet that is already hot with a little bacon grease in the bottom..It will have a really nice crust and the cracklins will really give it an amazing flavor.....Hope you enjoy...VIKING

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1-Get in the car and drive.
2-Arrive at Cracker Barrel.
3-Get out, go in and grab a table.
4-I order a big bowl of beans, country fried potatoes, maybe a fruit and/or vegie salad, for sure some relish and onions, and tell em to bring the cornbread til I tell em to stop.
5-Pay, get back in truck and go home.
7-Take a nap.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always cook my beans in a crockpot, usually put them in that morning before work and eat em that night. A pound of pinto or dark red kidney beans, pound of sausage (andouille or smoked), salt/pepper/chili powder & either Tony Chachere's or Slap Ya Mama's with around 6 cups of water and cook on low all day. I don't soak mine overnight, and also like to use the bone with whatever meat is left on it out of a cooked bone-in ham when I can get one. Now ya got me wanting some...;)

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the slow cooker crockpot way too, I use a big hunk of cut-up smoked sausage to add flavor and make real cornbread. Chow-chow and hot sauce for me too please! And the real iced tea is a must have to go with it. And chunks of white onion, Vidalias, if you can get them!

Latest posts

Top Bottom