Beans and Cornbread Recipe.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To thicken the soup up, my Great Uncle would put a table spoon of peanut butter in them. You can smell it, but can't taste the PB. YOU MUST HAVE A GLASS OF ICE COLD MILK WITH THIS MEAL! Beans, cornbread, fried potato's, hot chow chow, and either slat beacon or fried pork chop's.
"DAMN I"M HUNGRY"

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont usually cook beans or chili in the summer even though I love them both so thats why I go out for them in the summer. I do tho eat some kind of bean almost every single day. Love em, good for you and lots of fiber. If I have to I will just eat a can of porknbeans with some BBQ sauce in it cold by itself for a snack.

My gramma cooked for the cowboys on my grampas ranch so my mom grew up learning her recipes and she has been passing them down to us over the years.

My wife likes her beans cooked in the crockpot, I dont but Ill eat them if she makes them. She also likes the cut up ham chunks she gets in the meat aisle at the store, they gross me out so I dont like them and dont eat her beans when she makes them with those.

Brown beans I just cook em simple. Sometimes Ill pre soak em but most times I dont. Ive boiled them for an hour before then rinsed them then cooked them before, but usually I just sort em and rinse em and cook em. Water in the pot and add the beans, bring to a boil, lower the heat and then add the salt pork or maybe smoked hocks (if I can even find the kind I like). My preference is to have a ham bone with some ham on it saved in the freezer leftover from a nice ham, that makes the best beans ever to me. I dont add any salt until the last 30 minutes, thats the way my momma did, and only add pepper or any other spices you might like at the table. I cook em slow and watch the water adding when I need to. Been making them this way my entire adult life. Cornbread is like BBQ sauce, every one likes it different. The wife likes the sweet kind she grew up eating so she makes her some Jiffy with honey in it. I dont care one way or the other, I like the sweet kind and I like the not so sweet, white or yellow, does not matter, sometimes I will add a can of cream style corn and fresh cut jalapenos to em for a change. Fried tators, every one has their own style of making em and so do I, I love mine the best of anybodies besides grammas. I always have to have sweet relish or chow chow (my gramma canned the best chowchow on the planet), white or green onions, maybe some green tomato relish, and a big glass of brewed tea.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always cook them in the crock pot. Take out as many beans as you want for you meal, rinse them in a colander, dump them in the crock pot before work, cover with water, add a pinch of salt, set it on low and off to work you go. When I get in I dip out a bowl, spice it up with Tony's Cajun seasoning and go to town. I'm not really into beans with ham or sausage, but will eat it like that if someone else makes it. YMMV

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Soak overnight
Slow cook all day in chicken broth
Add half pound browned spicy pork sausage to beans a couple hours before serving.
1/2 cup fine chopped onion
1tbls minced garlic

Serve with chow chow, butter, and corn bread with a small can chopped jalapeños added before cooking.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of variety in the methods offered here and I haven't seen any I wouldn't eat because there's no wrong way to arrive at a good pot of beans...that peanut butter idea for thickening is interesting. To do a proper pot of beans around here, I always like to start by serving a family meal with one of those spiral-sliced hams so I have a very flavorful ham hock at the base for the beans. The beans for a later meal are just another good round from that great ham.

I always like lots of onion, celery, and carrot in my beans. Those who use chicken broth for a base are also on a good path to success but I also like the added zing from Rotel.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nope nope nope, but your all close.

Step 1 throw away pinto beans
Step 2 get out navy beans, rinse
Step 3 rinse again, you suck at rinsing
Step 4 Soak beans over night
Step 5 throw them all in a crock pot with a ham hock
Step 6 eat

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a my version of my Mom and Grandma's old recipe...

1. Soak 5-6 cups pinto beans in large pot overnight to 12 hours.

2. Add the following to the crockpot - most is to "taste" as I don't measure
(5-6 cups) Pinto Beans - soaked
(3) Smoked Ham Hocks
(-) Beef Broth to cover all
(1) Large Onion - Diced
(-) Diced Garlic to your taste
(1) Onion Soup Mix packet
(1) Liquid Smoke
(-) Dried Oregano to taste

3. Cook on High 6-8 hours

4. Lightly brown 2.5 pounds ground Sausage (I prefer Blue & Gold to support our FFA)

5. Remove Ham Hocks from crock pot. I use tongs and try to keep them intact and prevent the smaller bones from ending up in the beans. (Let cool and then pick the good meat out and enjoy!)

6. Add lightly browned sausage to beans (I add a bit of the grease too as I love the flavor it gives). Cook for another 1-2 hours.

Mmmm mmm mmm. I like mine as burritos and in bowls with fresh onions, cheese, tomatoes and Srichia and tortilla chips.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the soak overnight followed by rinse and fresh water takes the gas out - that's a good thing - I use the slow cooker as well...all the add ins are to your taste - onions and ham or bacon being my gold standard then season as you like em....put em in the slow cooker on high for an hour then turn it back to low then as they start to get done back to high for an hour or so..the mash em up trick makes for a thicker batch

blackeyed peas the same way but you don't have to soak them....

Latest posts

Top Bottom