Carry location question - University of Wash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
University of Wash is a laundromat in Tulsa that is pretty much the awesomest thing ever - it's a laundromat with a bar in it. I haven't carried in there, so I've availed myself of the opportunity to clean my clothes AND get drunk AT THE SAME TIME a few times.

My question is: if for some reason I decided not to get drunk while doing laundry, could I carry legally in there? The OK SDA says that you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol provided that the sale of alcohol isn't the primary purpose of the business. How is University of Wash classified?

I also wonder about McNellie's since it's a restaurant but also a bar so it's debatable as to what the primary purpose of that business is.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would bet most of McNellie's revenues overall comes from the sale of alcohol. I think the law reads 51% or more of revenue from the sale of liquor. On the same token, I bet the wash place makes more money on the machines than the bar. Just remember, you and your gun should not be loaded at the same time! :)

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would bet most of McNellie's revenues overall comes from the sale of alcohol. I think the law reads 51% or more of revenue from the sale of liquor.

IIRC, it's worded that way in other states but the OKSDA just says alcohol sales shouldn't be the "primary purpose of the business."

On the same token, I bet the wash place makes more money on the machines than the bar.

Yeah that's what I thought.

Just remember, you and your gun should not be loaded at the same time! :)

Especially not me. If I get drunk I'm mellow most of the time but there is a non-zero chance that I will end up doing one or more of the following:

a) Punching self in face
b) Kicking holes in walls
c) Climbing on roofs of nearby apartment buildings and yelling at passersby
d) Something involving fireworks and/or g-strings
e) Ugly girl(s)

I've accepted that I need to lock up any and all deadly weapons before cracking open a beer.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go by this. If children are allowed, it is not a bar.

Correct. If a business ever permits patrons under 21 through the business day or any day of the week it cannot by ABLE rules be a bar. (ABLE rules are THE law in Oklahoma when it comes to liquor.)

The WHOLE establishment is licensed, so even if there is a "bar area" where kids are not permitted the place is still not a bar and you can carry there - including the bar area.

Some places (like McNellies, I believe) allow kids until a certain time and then don't admit them later at night. This is their choice, not a rule or law and does not make them a bar. Again, if kids are ever permitted throughout the day it cannot by ABLE definition be a bar.

Bryan

Latest posts

Top Bottom