Casa Bonita

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crystal's, Casa Bonita, Shotgun Sam's, Frank's, Ma Bell's.....y'all are playin' my tune. Never ate at Frank's, but I went to school with his son. A bunch of the guys I went to school with worked there.

Casa Bonita was sub par food, but my kids liked to go there.

Ate at Crystal's quite a few times, then it burned.

Remember Whitlock's Auto Supply?

The Olde Time Twin?

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't that the one with the "grotto" like Hugh-the-man-Hefner had?

We only visited the Casa in Tulsa during the fair with our FFA groups and AG teacher, Mr. Harp. He was a kick! I really liked him.

I always thought the Mex place on Reno with the school bus driven into the side was brilliant and looked authentic as hell compared to the Mex places I have visited in Texas and Mexico.
Have to confess I've never seen the full episode where the kids in South Park are going to Casa Bonita in Denver.
But I did read that the show's creators were going to buy that restaurant and remodel it, since it was going to close due to COVID, aging owners, etc.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Worked there for a couple years in high school and junior college. That was back when the line would go out the door, around the corner, and to the back of the building.

The place had seating for 720 and we would go for two or three hours with no more than 4 or 5 open tables. People just kept coming off "the line" with trays of food. We had a map of the whole place with holes drilled into plexiglass on each table. We used color coded golf tees to map out what was clean (green), what had been bussed up (yellow) and what was dirty, but available (red).

Two or three people on walkie talkies would make laps all night long and radio the results to the two people with the map. One listened and changed out tees, and the other told the waiter which table to take the customers to. It was insane, but oddly enough, worked most of the time.

In a lot of ways, I grew up in that place. Fond memories.

Oh, and when I was cooking sopapillas, I went through 350 pounds of dough in one Friday night.
I worked at the Casa Bonita in OKC 1977-1978. I was also the sopapillia maker. Always smelled like grease by the end of the shift. So much dough.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We would take the grandkids to the one on Colfax in Denver up until it closed due to COVID. Hell, the place was filthy, I'm pretty sure it was the real epicenter of COVID. Anyway, I liked driving down Colfax and seeing the prostitutes, pimps and crackheads. I always had a gun for the usual road rage episode.

I loved it..... the cantina band, the cliff diving, the arcade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom