• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Cheap dirt bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have a 13 year old and looking for a CHEAP dirt bike he can learn on. Not too picky just needs to run. Just looking for something he can learn how to shift on and ride before investing in a nicer one. I rode as a kid and had to get pulled off my bike!

Anyway… probably looking at a 125 as I’m assuming he’s too big for an 80cc. Located in OKC area.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
FWIW the CRF80 is a great size to start on especially when learning the clutch. My 12 year old's crf80 will haul my 230lb butt up and down the trails easy. It will only do wheelies when I force it to. When my son learned the clutch there was alot of over-revving and dumping the clutch and some tears. I was glad I got the 80 as it would just stall out instead of wheelie.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Given the scenario, I would just get one of those cheap Chinese Suzuki clones off ebay/Amazon rather than try to get a good price on a used Honda/Yama/Suzuki. If the kid is just gonna thrash it and outgrow it, no need to pay a brand premium.

The Chinese clone engines use the same design and parts as Suzuki, so no worries about maintenance. They are also very reliable because it's such a simple design.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=125cc+dirt+bike&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_6

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Kawasaki used to make an 80cc Big Wheel so it was almost as tall as a 125. There was an optional 105 cc kit for it also. They were lighter than a 125.
Yeah I had a 2-stroke kx80 big wheel when I was 14. It was a rocket! 3rd gear wheelies no problem.

If the kid is a total beginner I’d steer clear of the MX bikes. Get something more trail oriented.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yeah I had a 2-stroke kx80 big wheel when I was 14. It was a rocket! 3rd gear wheelies no problem.

If the kid is a total beginner I’d steer clear of the MX bikes. Get something more trail oriented.
I drilled holes around the center of the flywheel and then sunk a ring on the od to regain the original weight. Then I had the flywheel balanced. It gives the bike torque and still revs quick. It makes it easier to trail ride. My son got his first bike at 6 years old so by the time he got the big wheel he had been riding enduros and cross countries. It might be too much for a beginner. He might be like I was once. I rode Guy Cooper's factory works Honda 125. The power curve was like a light switch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom