Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon vs Toyota Tacoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be buying a midsize in the next couple of months and I've been obsessing about this decision for the past year.
Now here's what I've gathered in that year of research minus a test drive. If we discount the previous iterations, where Nissan harbodies were unbreakable just like the Yotas, and the Colorado was not a favorite, I've come up with this:

Tacoma: Helluva resale value, but a bit pricey. Old in the tooth with old interior and outdated V6, but this means most of the issues have been ironed out and it has one hell of an aftermarket for goodies. The plastic bed was surprisingly decent and they can move pretty well.

Frontier: Cheaper and comparable to the Tacoma. Maybe slightly less reliable and lower resell value, but it has a more powerful and torque-y old V6 with a full metal bed. The Nissan engine is still very reliable, and once the 05-06 transmission issues were solved, there haven't been any more major issues than the Tacoma. Mileage is slightly worse than the Tacoma, but its a more powerful and heavier truck. (higher towing rating I believe)

Colorado: If it proves decent, could be a game-changer in the midsize department. The engine has less torque than the T or F, and only has more power at a higher RPM. However, the 6-speed auto is something that awesome when it comes to mileage. It also has an updated look and interior which is awesome if you want a car interior. The ground clearance and approach kinda sucks though for any offroaders, whereas the Tacoma TRD and Frontier Pro-4X have a pedigree at that kind of stuff.

Summary: The Tacoma is tried and true, you get what you pay for. Frontier is a discount Tacoma for those who want something something different and still Japanese. The Colorado is the flashy newcomer with the white teeth and tanned skin, but we've yet to see how he performs...

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, it's got the new Warn Zeon Platinum with synthetic rope in there. That winch and the wireless controls are a work of art.

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_10Pltnm.shtml

The mount is a U.S. OFF-ROAD hidden mount. I would normally fab it myself, but I was so impressed with the mounts quality, I bought it instead of building one.

https://www.usoffroad.us/store/

Agree. the hidden aspect of it was what caught my eye. If it hadn't been for the shackles, I might have missed it with a cursory look.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be buying a midsize in the next couple of months and I've been obsessing about this decision for the past year.
Now here's what I've gathered in that year of research minus a test drive. If we discount the previous iterations, where Nissan harbodies were unbreakable just like the Yotas, and the Colorado was not a favorite, I've come up with this:

Tacoma: Helluva resale value, but a bit pricey. Old in the tooth with old interior and outdated V6, but this means most of the issues have been ironed out and it has one hell of an aftermarket for goodies. The plastic bed was surprisingly decent and they can move pretty well.

Frontier: Cheaper and comparable to the Tacoma. Maybe slightly less reliable and lower resell value, but it has a more powerful and torque-y old V6 with a full metal bed. The Nissan engine is still very reliable, and once the 05-06 transmission issues were solved, there haven't been any more major issues than the Tacoma. Mileage is slightly worse than the Tacoma, but its a more powerful and heavier truck. (higher towing rating I believe)

Colorado: If it proves decent, could be a game-changer in the midsize department. The engine has less torque than the T or F, and only has more power at a higher RPM. However, the 6-speed auto is something that awesome when it comes to mileage. It also has an updated look and interior which is awesome if you want a car interior. The ground clearance and approach kinda sucks though for any offroaders, whereas the Tacoma TRD and Frontier Pro-4X have a pedigree at that kind of stuff.

Summary: The Tacoma is tried and true, you get what you pay for. Frontier is a discount Tacoma for those who want something something different and still Japanese. The Colorado is the flashy newcomer with the white teeth and tanned skin, but we've yet to see how he performs...

I've had great luck with the Frontier. One reason I always chose the Frontier over the Tacoma was interior comfort. For some reason, the Tacoma never has fit me well, but the Frontier fit like a glove.

Latest posts

Top Bottom