Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon vs Toyota Tacoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI- Colorado has more power 200 i4, 305 v6 vs taco 159 and 236
more torque- 191 i4, 269 v6 over taco 180, 266
The i4 Colorado gets 22.5 mpgs, the similar taco gets 23, where the V6 Colorado knocks down 20.5 over the taco at 18.5.

I4 torque is the same at 3500, but the v6 Colorado has a 7k tow rating over the 6400 taco.

payload- 1410 co vs 1285 taco i4, v6 1520 co over 1215 taco

Like I said, the Colorado kills the Taco in every aspect. I have never been big on the small trucks, I had an S10, it was a good truck but too small. These new "mini-trucks" are closer to what a 1/2-ton used to be, and they are really friggin good. Plus 'merica. The hilux/T100 was a great truck, unkillable, but they are not the same anymore. Toyota's parts cost 2-3 times more, labor is a nightmare, and while they do last, so do the GM products. Fit and finish of the Toyota is equal to GM, and the interiors are not as comfortable. The price is way too high out of the gate too.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of funny that Yotas are made in San Antone and Chevys have imported parts. Wasn't the Colorado offered in Australia and South America for years? Rumor is that Toyota is going to offer a 5 liter Cummins in the Tundra for 2016. That could be a game changer.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The i4 Colorado gets 22.5 mpgs, the similar taco gets 23, where the V6 Colorado knocks down 20.5 over the taco at 18.5.

I4 torque is the same at 3500, but the v6 Colorado has a 7k tow rating over the 6400 taco.

Like I said, the Colorado kills the Taco in every aspect. I have never been big on the small trucks, I had an S10, it was a good truck but too small. These new "mini-trucks" are closer to what a 1/2-ton used to be, and they are really friggin good. Plus 'merica. The hilux/T100 was a great truck, unkillable, but they are not the same anymore. Toyota's parts cost 2-3 times more, labor is a nightmare, and while they do last, so do the GM products. Fit and finish of the Toyota is equal to GM, and the interiors are not as comfortable. The price is way too high out of the gate too.

Parts cost is not very high and they almost never require parts. Labor is not a nightmare or any different. That sounds like the stuff my dad used to say when he had zero experience with anything other than Chevys. Also, why do you think the Colorado didn't sell as well or hold its value as well? That many people buy an inferior truck and pay a premium for it just out of ignorance?

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

They don't kill every respect. Low end torque, ground clearance,approach angle, proven reliability, aftermarket access, and price are all things the Colorado does not compete in compared to a Taco or Fronty.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of funny that Yotas are made in San Antone and Chevys have imported parts. Wasn't the Colorado offered in Australia and South America for years? Rumor is that Toyota is going to offer a 5 liter Cummins in the Tundra for 2016. That could be a game changer.

The redesigned 2016 Nissan Titan is getting the 5.0 Cummins V8. Will have something 305HP and 550TQ.

David

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hmmmm, Chevy Colorado/Canyon has an 83% US origin of parts, while the Tacoma and Tundar are 70%. So, yeah, still more 'merica.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They don't kill every respect. Low end torque, ground clearance,approach angle, proven reliability, aftermarket access, and price are all things the Colorado does not compete in compared to a Taco or Fronty.

I will capitulate approach angle, but Colorado has slightly better ground clearance in both the smallest and largest versions, as measured by Road and Track. Low-end torque is also better.

The Colorado/canyon are new platforms as of 2015, so their resale value remains to be seen. I have quite a lot of experience with Toyotas and Hondas. I have worked on them, even owned a Toyota. When I was doing product development for an aftermarket company, I got to tear them apart. the GM and Ford vehicles were ALWAYS easier to work on and develop parts for, the Hondas and toyos were a friggin' nightmare, so yeah I have a very realistic idea of what it takes to work on them, both interior parts and mechanically suspension/drivetrain. I HATE doing toyos or Hondas, they pack everything in where you can't get to stuff. Have to practically pull the motor to change an alternator. I am not saying the big 3 have not done similar things, but in general, a Chevy is easier to maintain than a Toyo, and parts are ALWAYS double if not more. Chevy alternator- $55, Toyo- 120-300.

I absolutely give Toyo the edge in overall longevity, but just because it physically drives longer does not mean it lasts longer. The seats, interior, electrical systems all start failing long before the drivetrain. So yeah, it might last 300k, but the seats are thrashed, windows won't roll down, the AC doesn't work, and the suspension is shot. My 2002 2500HD has 175 on the odo, the seats are perfect, the suspension is great, and I can haul a 24-foot box trailer with a 5k car inside at 80 on the highway. My 2003 1500 could haul the 24-footer at 70, but not uphill, as it only had the 4.8 V8. My good friend has a 2000 Chevy 1500 with the V6, over 300k on the engine, everything works perfectly, seats are in excellent shape and it hauls a 5k trailer damn near every day without a tick.

Yes, I am a GM guy, but I am quite experienced in all makes and models.

Latest posts

Top Bottom