Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon vs Toyota Tacoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will capitulate approach angle, but Colorado has slightly better ground clearance in both the smallest and largest versions, as measured by Road and Track. Low-end torque is also better.

The Colorado/canyon are new platforms as of 2015, so their resale value remains to be seen. I have quite a lot of experience with Toyotas and Hondas. I have worked on them, even owned a Toyota. When I was doing product development for an aftermarket company, I got to tear them apart. the GM and Ford vehicles were ALWAYS easier to work on and develop parts for, the Hondas and toyos were a friggin' nightmare, so yeah I have a very realistic idea of what it takes to work on them, both interior parts and mechanically suspension/drivetrain. I HATE doing toyos or Hondas, they pack everything in where you can't get to stuff. Have to practically pull the motor to change an alternator. I am not saying the big 3 have not done similar things, but in general, a Chevy is easier to maintain than a Toyo, and parts are ALWAYS double if not more. Chevy alternator- $55, Toyo- 120-300.

I absolutely give Toyo the edge in overall longevity, but just because it physically drives longer does not mean it lasts longer. The seats, interior, electrical systems all start failing long before the drivetrain. So yeah, it might last 300k, but the seats are thrashed, windows won't roll down, the AC doesn't work, and the suspension is shot. My 2002 2500HD has 175 on the odo, the seats are perfect, the suspension is great, and I can haul a 24-foot box trailer with a 5k car inside at 80 on the highway. My 2003 1500 could haul the 24-footer at 70, but not uphill, as it only had the 4.8 V8. My good friend has a 2000 Chevy 1500 with the V6, over 300k on the engine, everything works perfectly, seats are in excellent shape and it hauls a 5k trailer damn near every day without a tick.

Yes, I am a GM guy, but I am quite experienced in all makes and models.

What? Electrical systems last as long as the rest. They also handle deep water crossings without problem surprisingly well. Windows last as long as the rest. Interior is super tough but simple. Pull the motor to replace an alternator? That's ridiculous. What model requires that?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a 98 Corolla, not a truck. 178k miles and replaced a power steering pump and starter. That's it...and both were day operations that were only difficult because of my inexperience working on cars.
Looked at my friend's 01 Taco that he puts through hell. It's still running despite him running it like a stadium truck.
A chevy he bought lasted about 2 years.
I'm not bashing the Colorado, I'm going to test drive and look into one.
But I'm also not sold on all the flash and nice oohs and ahhs that always come with American origin vehicles.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will capitulate approach angle, but Colorado has slightly better ground clearance in both the smallest and largest versions, as measured by Road and Track. Low-end torque is also better.

The Colorado/canyon are new platforms as of 2015, so their resale value remains to be seen. I have quite a lot of experience with Toyotas and Hondas. I have worked on them, even owned a Toyota. When I was doing product development for an aftermarket company, I got to tear them apart. the GM and Ford vehicles were ALWAYS easier to work on and develop parts for, the Hondas and toyos were a friggin' nightmare, so yeah I have a very realistic idea of what it takes to work on them, both interior parts and mechanically suspension/drivetrain. I HATE doing toyos or Hondas, they pack everything in where you can't get to stuff. Have to practically pull the motor to change an alternator. I am not saying the big 3 have not done similar things, but in general, a Chevy is easier to maintain than a Toyo, and parts are ALWAYS double if not more. Chevy alternator- $55, Toyo- 120-300.

I absolutely give Toyo the edge in overall longevity, but just because it physically drives longer does not mean it lasts longer. The seats, interior, electrical systems all start failing long before the drivetrain. So yeah, it might last 300k, but the seats are thrashed, windows won't roll down, the AC doesn't work, and the suspension is shot. My 2002 2500HD has 175 on the odo, the seats are perfect, the suspension is great, and I can haul a 24-foot box trailer with a 5k car inside at 80 on the highway. My 2003 1500 could haul the 24-footer at 70, but not uphill, as it only had the 4.8 V8. My good friend has a 2000 Chevy 1500 with the V6, over 300k on the engine, everything works perfectly, seats are in excellent shape and it hauls a 5k trailer damn near every day without a tick.

Yes, I am a GM guy, but I am quite experienced in all makes and models.

Hmmm, at 319,561 miles, my Tacoma SR5 seats, electrical, and AC all work perfectly. Other than needing cleaned the upholstery is perfect still.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439414842.931246.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom