Computer-VPN-Router Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All...

Some computer help if possible. Does anyone use a dual router system??

I have a VPN account on my PC in my den and only for that computer with my VPN account.
The VPN I use offers routers that you can hook up and switch on an off.

Does it REALLY work and is it that SIMPLE???

All I want is for a VPN router through my account/WiFi to my PS4 and able to connect to Game Pass like I do on my PC. Basically watch NFL in the living room instead of ONLY in my den/man cave.

thumg_dual.png

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most likely what you will need to do is set a static IP address (manual) on the devices you want to have traffic pass through the vpn, and everything else will get an address via DHCP (automatic) Or vise versa depending on the hardware and setup. Then the device that routes your traffic over the vpn will only get what it needs.

Is there an automatic switch over not likely, it's an all or nothing kind of deal with two devices. If you replace your current router with theirs maybe but you will still need to specify which devices need traffic to go through the vpn and which don't. It's kinda dumb to send everything over the VPN since it will likely be slower than your internet connection by far and will slow down when more users are connected.

If you want to set things up correctly though it can be fairly painless. However I will say that unless you have an application already available on you PS4 just having a VPN will not magically make it do something that your computer can. But if you are using a roku or something like that that has the application on it and you want to obscure where that traffic is going a box like that will work. You could also do the same thing using a rasberry pi or another computer running software to route traffic specifically sent to it over the vpn. But remember that anything connected to the VPN network will not be able to communicate with the rest of the other devices on the non vpn network so if you want to stream something from a device to something else they have to be on the same net.

Latest posts

Top Bottom