Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing fancy here today, just a pot of B&B stew cooking.

Stew.jpg

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The better half has been buying the Tapatio brand season bags +/- $2.50 coupled to our own chicken and I mean to tell you they are GOOD. You'd swear you married a seniorita. Add my off the chain guacamole, our bacon grease refried beans and it's Mexican heaven. There's no room for desert.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The better half has been buying the Tapatio brand season bags +/- $2.50 coupled to our own chicken and I mean to tell you they are GOOD. You'd swear you married a seniorita. Add my off the chain guacamole, our bacon grease refried beans and it's Mexican heaven. There's no room for desert.
DAMN! Sounds great. Would be off the chain if you had a bowl of this pork/green chile posole!
20210331_205249.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I was talking with @CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin about this, and I figure I would share. Just be warned, whether you like spam or not, you’ll be addicted. My better half won’t even touch spam, but looks forward to when I make this. It’s a staple in Hawaii. Forewarning: I don’t measure anything, kinda just go by feel, so the measurements are kinda just guesses.

Spam Musubi

Make sushi or sweet rice. Do not use rice vinegar. It will make the rice less sticky.

while the rice is cooking, mix the following ingredients:

1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup of oyster sauce
Little bit less than 1/2 cup of sugar. White or brown works well.
1-2 tablespoons of mirin (not necessary, but suggested)

mix until well combined and sugar is dissolved.
Open spam can, save can.
Slice spam into 1/4” slices, or whatever you like really.
marinate spam in previously made mixture for 15-30 minutes.
when rice is almost done, start frying up the spam to your desired doneness on both sides, reserving the marinade.
Using wet hands (dry will cause everything to stick to your hands and make a mess) form the rice into spam can sized patties, I try to go for 1/4” or 1/2” thickness.
Place the rice on top of a 1/2” wide piece of nori (seaweed paper).
Use spam can as a cookie cutter to cut your patties into a spam shape, removing the excess rice.
place your spam on top of the rice, and for the nori over the top, using a little water on your finger to wet the nori where it overlaps to stick to itself.
If you like things a little extra saucy, you can warm up the remainder of the marinade and drizzle a little on top of each little stack of perfection.
Eat. Life changed.
36BA5224-B181-4AC7-B983-05BDD4705448.jpeg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another fairly simple meal. Homestyle beef. Kind of a copy of Stoffer's old bagged dinner. If you can brown a pound of ground beef and make a package of gravy, you can make this. This is after a couple of servings have been removed. The carrots and green beans are from cans and the tators were microwaved for 6 minutes while the beef was browning.

You just make the packet of Pioneer Roasted Beef gravy mix, brown the beef, I like to ad in onion while it is cooking. drain off the excess grease, cut some redskin potatoes into bite size pieces, microwave the potatoes about 6 minutes, open a can of carrots and one of green beans and drain. Mix it all together and season to taste. I use Morton's Nature seasoning since it has just about everything I like. Simmer on low about 15 to 20 minutes, then eat.

Homestyle beef.jpg

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another fairly simple meal. Homestyle beef. Kind of a copy of Stoffer's old bagged dinner. If you can brown a pound of ground beef and make a package of gravy, you can make this. This is after a couple of servings have been removed. The carrots and green beans are from cans and the tators were microwaved for 6 minutes while the beef was browning.

You just make the packet of Pioneer Roasted Beef gravy mix, brown the beef, I like to ad in onion while it is cooking. drain off the excess grease, cut some redskin potatoes into bite size pieces, microwave the potatoes about 6 minutes, open a can of carrots and one of green beans and drain. Mix it all together and season to taste. I use Morton's Nature seasoning since it has just about everything I like. Simmer on low about 15 to 20 minutes, then eat.

View attachment 257572
Thank you for posting.
I can see making this all fancy, cooking it with chopped celery and some sliced mushroom.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for posting.
I can see making this all fancy, cooking it with chopped celery and some sliced mushroom.
Yes you can and I have done that at times when I had the stuff. My wife says she likes it better than stew, so I decided our stew from now on will be tomato based while this will be the gravy based. Really it is a lot easier to make then it sounds and I think it could be made with ground venison too.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just built a Sweet Potato pie and stuck it in the oven :)

Son gave me this huge sweet potato a while back, figured it was time to use it.
Nutmeg, Cloves, Ginger, cinnamon etc.
I wanted to put in a couple dollops of molasses but I was all out :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom