Daylight savings time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quote from Post #23 Is that the reason mankind decided to alter things by creating time zones?

The railroads were the ones that created Time Zones. To be able to Print and Keep schedules.
You gain or lose a minute aprox. every 17.5 miles traveling east or west.
Before that Time was based on the sundial principle at noon in the local town square.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote from Post #23 Is that the reason mankind decided to alter things by creating time zones?

The railroads were the ones that created Time Zones. To be able to Print and Keep schedules.
You gain or lose a minute aprox. every 17.5 miles traveling east or west.
Before that Time was based on the sundial principle at noon in the local town square.

Yeppers, but still done by mankind.

Personally, since retirement, I prefer the sundial principle.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they should offset the day by 8 min too since light from the Sun takes about 8 minutes to reach us here on Earth.

At the correct distance, somewhere out in space one could still look down and see you mowing the lawn as a kid.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, how did the "natural flow of the universe" come up with time, other than say, working from "can see" to "can't see?" Did the universe have any input from others to indicate that "noon," thus lunch time, was to be when the sun was directly overhead? Did that "noon" factor apply to everyone, everywhere on the globe? Is that the reason mankind decided to alter things by creating time zones?

Oh, wait...

...I don't think the "universe" did all that.
That in bold may explain why people weigh more in winter. They don't work enough hours in winter to stay slim! :mosh:

Woody

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time I keep track of is 2:00 PM. It's the time for cake, or brownies, or fudge, or brandy ice, or cookies. Never gelatin. No. No gelatin.

Woody

Oh, since I'm back in the land of Braum's Chocolate Chip ice cream, it's gotta be that instead of the baked goods. Too hot for baking.

(Oh, and Colorado, Oregon, and Utah all suck because they don't have any kind of decent Chocolate Chip ice cream, if they have any at all.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom