Decided to lose weight...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, after I started dating a younger, athletic woman, I decided I needed to lose some weight and get back into shape. That and my XL clothing was starting to get tight and I didnt want to invest in new hunting gear. Anyway, the GF has convinced me to run in a 5K race with her and so far I've lost 15 lbs training the past three weeks. She is a fanatic about her diet and gym routine, so I am really playing catch up. But I refuse to go fanatical on my diet changes. Besides running three days a week, I've made the following diet changes:

No pitchers or buckets of beer
No sodas
No donuts
Much, much smaller portions for my meals
More wheat bread and brown rice
More fruits & veggies
Less pork and more fish and chicken - I love grilled Salmon and Tuna!
I try to avoid eating big meals late in the evening

I refuse to use weight watchers or any of that other crap. I just need a balanced, common sense diet that is easy to develop and easy to maintain. Probably my best investment so far has been a set of digital scales with a BMI readout. It lets me monitor my weight fluxuations through out the day, so I can better evaluate how my body responds to different foods at different times of the day.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way to go!

I made the same decision last year and have lost 60 lbs so far - still need another 10 off

Running and calorie counting were the key for me.

Since June 2011, I've run 3 1/2 marathons and am training for the full for November.

Keep it up!! I went from hating running, to tolerating it, to loving it

Are you guys in a running program or just on your own?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in my 7th month of my lifestyle change. I exercise 5 or more days a week, and thought I was doing well on my eating. It all came together when I started counting my calories. I use myfitnesspal.com, it works great. I am now down almost 40lbs, I feel great, no more high BP, no Acid Reflux, no snoring, for 51 I feel damn good.

In the last 2 months I have really gotten into cycling, it is an incredible calorie burn for the time invested. I rode 2 hours and 20 minutes yesterday, logged 39 miles, and burned 1900 calories.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lost weight before on what I thought of as a balanced diet, and I'm amazed how much better I feel and perform now that I eat an almost entirely primal diet. And have NO trouble keeping weight off. It took me a few baby steps to get there, but I doubt I'll ever go back. Something to think about.

And congratulations!

Latest posts

Top Bottom