Deer and Broadheads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
back in my compound days I shot thunderheads, muzzys, and a couple of other fixed blade broadheads. When I switched to a crossbow I have always shot rage, which I have had good luck with.
Last year, I picked up a, Excalibur 405 on clearance. I have a couple of friends that swear by swackers. So, I changed to swackers.
The part that is disturbing to me, was on the other side of that deer you cannot see the entry wound.
I knew when I saw the arrow go in, I shot him high. I have been bowhunting for 30 years now.
I know I will not switch back to a fixed blade, and rage broadheads always worked great for me.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's Steelforce and then there's everyone else.

LOL. IMO, there is no wrong choice in broad head selection. Use what works for you and ignore all the other voices. I have my biases on broad heads just like everyone else, but really does it matter?? If its working for you then who cares what everyone else says.

Just for the record. I hate Rage and love NAP spitfires, never had a failure with a spitfire and shot many deer with them. Muzzy's are probably the best "cheap" fixed blade out there IMO. But again, these are my personal biases and I know lots of people who swear by Rage! So who's correct me or them? LOL

I think one thing we can all agree on(or at least the vast majority of us)...... DO NOT buy the Chinese made Allen broad heads at Walmart. They come in a 3 pack for $10 for a reason!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL. IMO, there is no wrong choice in broad head selection. Use what works for you and ignore all the other voices. I have my biases on broad heads just like everyone else, but really does it matter?? If its working for you then who cares what everyone else says.

Just for the record. I hate Rage and love NAP spitfires, never had a failure with a spitfire and shot many deer with them. Muzzy's are probably the best "cheap" fixed blade out there IMO. But again, these are my personal biases and I know lots of people who swear by Rage! So who's correct me or them? LOL

I think one thing we can all agree on(or at least the vast majority of us)...... DO NOT buy the Chinese made Allen broad heads at Walmart. They come in a 3 pack for $10 for a reason!
In my opinion, there are many wrong choices for broad heads. You, yourself, came back in this same post and said don't go with Allens, so there are wrong choices. There are many stories of Rage and other mechanicals failing. Whether it's failing to open or breaking and not doing their job. Anyone who shoots a mechanical is risking that happening. I've seen a lot and done some torture testing. The fixed blade, cut on contact perform the best, period. If they aren't flying right for you, you need to adjust your bow.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, there are many wrong choices for broad heads. You, yourself, came back in this same post and said don't go with Allens, so there are wrong choices. There are many stories of Rage and other mechanicals failing. Whether it's failing to open or breaking and not doing their job. Anyone who shoots a mechanical is risking that happening. I've seen a lot and done some torture testing. The fixed blade, cut on contact perform the best, period. If they aren't flying right for you, you need to adjust your bow.
I agree. QAD Exodus have been very good to me. Muzzys through the shoulder or off a rib will be mangled.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I can guarantee you for every guy that tells you brand x is a piece of crap you will have another guy tell you brand x is wonderful. So who is right?? Again shoot what works for you and ignore everybody else.
Broadheads aren't mystical devices. They need to perform a few tasks. Fly straight (which is 99% in the bow not the broadhead), slice through the target and create a wound channel, and be tough enough to do those things reliably. Mechanicals don't do it consistently and some aren't very tough. Steelforce are super sharp, super tough and slice through game like butter. Torture tests have proven them to be among if not the toughest broadheads on the market. Nothing mechanical to fail. Are Montec's really good? Yes. Other brands that have cut on contact, solidly made broadheads will be acceptable too. So, again, nothing magical or mystical about them. Many work, a few are excellent and several should be removed from the market. I mean, how many stories do we have to hear about Rage's failing before people understand?

But you shouldn't just rely on what works for you. Most people don't have enough personal data to provide accurate recommendations. So you've shot 2 deer with you super sauce broadhead? 3 deer, or even 4 deer. It's not enough data.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, in my past compound career, I've taken around 20 or so deer with Bear Super Razorheads with out a loss.
Some would call them old technology. They worked.
Since being medically cross bow assigned, Another 20 or so have been taken with the Bolt Cutters that Excalibur recommends.
I would say that if you put any SHARP broadhead into the vitals, your going to have a dead deer.
I have never used expandables, so I'm out on that discussion.
My opinion is put it into the vitals, and you have a dead deer.

Last edited:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, in my past compound career, I've taken around 20 or so deer with Bear Super Razorheads with out a loss.
Some would call them old technology. They worked.
Since being medically cross bow assigned, Another 20 or so have been taken with the Bolt Cutters that Excalibur recommends.
I would say that if you put any SHARP broadhead into the vitals, your going to have a dead deer.
I have never used expendables, so I'm out on that discussion.
My opinion is put it into the vitals, and you have a dead deer.
Correct. That's why expandables never made sense to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom