Degree or no degree?? Let's agree to disagree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That does not give me much confidence in Boeing. Does he have engineering certifications?
It’s not uncommon at all. Even at engineering firms. One PE with insurance will sign off on plans. Anyone that can do the job well will be paid according to what they’re able to produce. Sometimes a guy with the least education makes more than most in the office. I know of several firms that are this way.

Reaction score
It’s not uncommon at all. Even at engineering firms. One PE with insurance will sign off on plans. Anyone that can do the job well will be paid according to what they’re able to produce. Sometimes a guy with the least education makes more than most in the office. I know of several firms that are this way.
I’ve witnessed the same in other industries. We’ve had a few non-degreed engineers over the years too. They would have to have a sign off from degreed engineers when necessary.

I personally do not have a degree and struggled through high school. I have done quite well for myself and in my mid 40s will be crossing the 6 figure mark soon sitting behind a desk. I have also trained many educated folks including engineers over the years. If I could go back I would have at least went into trade school/votech and started my own business. Hindsight… but I can’t complain. I still make more than my educated wife and lots of others. There’s no one right plan for everyone. Everyone shines in their own way.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really this thread reminds me of divide and conquer. I have 3 degrees in BS but working at at research center for 22 years have taught me that learning doesn’t have a degree or your daddy didn’t know everything although he was a he11 of an (man) electrician and a man that could think out of a box'!!!!!!!!!!!??!!!

Get over yourself, life is a learning experience no matter how you leaned it IMO. I’m a jack of all trades but I’d rather have a good shop person or even a farmer/ rancher that knows how to fix things to someone spouting BS because they’re the 99% that’s a follower spouting the company/ colleges lines.

Im with a black women that claims her dad n****** rigs everything, my opinion he’s a problem solver that takes what he has or the customer desires (usually $$$$$$$) and providers a solution.

I didn’t read much of the thread, seems the SOS a different day.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife used to be in a position of being part of a hiring staff for IT people. (Think state agency with interviewers numbering 3 to 5 people that were interviewing the applicants.)

Her boss was pretty adamant that he wanted people "with the papers," meaning degrees or certification. She was of the opinion that she wanted people that could evaluate the problems and fix them, or better yet, evaluate what was needed and create a workable product. As she used to put it, she wanted hands on people and not those that could do a good job of passing tests on paper but couldn't do squat otherwise.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife used to be in a position of being part of a hiring staff for IT people. (Think state agency with interviewers numbering 3 to 5 people that were interviewing the applicants.)

Her boss was pretty adamant that he wanted people "with the papers," meaning degrees or certification. She was of the opinion that she wanted people that could evaluate the problems and fix them, or better yet, evaluate what was needed and create a workable product. As she used to put it, she wanted hands on people and not those that could do a good job of passing tests on paper but couldn't do squat otherwise.
Super like. I’ve never seen more incompetence in people with certifications interviewing for a job with little experience, they took knowledge dumps to pass a test. I have 2 son’s working with no degree’s that are making 6 figures with no college both in IT. I told the dummies to go to college but they refused 😱😫🤣🤣🤣😚😚😚

learning is more a life experience IMO, college is a entry level not the end all to be all, one working is a major oil in NOC the other left his head IT architecture position to take over day to day operations at a major hosting center in Oklahoma.

I know what I don’t know I admit, it’s never been about the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog as they say, someone wanting to learn will. JMO

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Oklahoma manufacturing facilities, it used to be that if you had one journeyman electrician on staff, everyone could do electrical work under their umbrella.
I think it was in the 80's that was changed so that only electricians could do electrical work. Had to be a journeyman or an apprentice.
Oklahoma has one of the strictest requirements in the nation to get journeyman status. You have to know your stuff.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Oklahoma manufacturing facilities, it used to be that if you had one journeyman electrician on staff, everyone could do electrical work under their umbrella.
I think it was in the 80's that was changed so that only electricians could do electrical work. Had to be a journeyman or an apprentice.
Oklahoma has one of the strictest requirements in the nation to get journeyman status. You have to know your stuff.
I used to work at a plant where the plant manager couldn't read or write. But he was a skilled machinist and welder and evidently a competent manager to boot. We did some pretty intricate work. It was prior to my time there but everyone who was there in that time said he basically made the place what it was.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to work at a plant where the plant manager couldn't read or write. But he was a skilled machinist and welder and evidently a competent manager to boot. We did some pretty intricate work. It was prior to my time there but everyone who was there in that time said he basically made the place what it was.
We had a department manager at the oilfield bit manufacturing company I worked for before moving to the power plant. He couldn't read or write. Found that out during a training session when sitting next to him and we had to fill out the forms to verify we had taken the class. He said he didn't bring his glasses and asked if I would fill it out for him. I did, and never saw him ever wear glasses for several years after that.
He wasn't popular among those reporting to him, but he made product move down the line among the CNC machines.

Edit: Smith Tool had absorbed Williams bit manufacturing from Tonkawa that had several conventional machinists that couldn't read or write but they did good work on the Cincinatti horizontal mills.
When drug testing started, everyone had to go to the front office conference room to get the test kits and use the bathroom next door to submit the urine sample.
I overheard the Williams guys talking about why the office had white paper towels in the bathroom dispensers while the shop had brown paper towels.
Casually mentioned that the brown paper towels was recycled toilet paper, hence the brown color they couldn't bleach out while the office had virgin wood pulp to make their paper towels.
About 30 minutes later, the plant intercom asked me to report to the HR office. I was pretty good friends with the HR manager, and he asked If I would go back out and "clarify" the BS story I'd told those guys.
So, I went out with a mad on look and marched to their area. They had smirks on their faces, so I told them that they got me in trouble for telling them the truth and the smirks went away. Hard to keep a straight face knowing I'd set the hook one more time.
About 30 minutes later, the intercom requested my presence back to HR where the real arse chewing commenced with the HR, supervisor, and department manager all participating.
I acted contrite but was LMMFAO inside. :rubhands:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom