Degree or no degree?? Let's agree to disagree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the holder of 5 degrees, I consider myself to be something of an expert on this topic. In my opinion, almost all college degrees are most useful as toilet paper. The cost of college has risen to the point that higher education is a terrible investment. Unless one comes from money, or can get a full-ride scholarship, one is far wiser to learn a trade or look for a decent job. Otherwise, one is very likely to be saddled with toxic student loan debt for a lifetime. Salaries for degree-required jobs have fallen sharply in real terms, and formerly high-paid jobs are rapidly being sent abroad. My advice to those I’ve spoken with who have a true passion that requires a degree is to find a job that offers tuition assistance, and to avoid student loans at all cost. They won’t have a lot of fun, but they also won’t be required to mortgage their future.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Valid points yes.
Degrees are good, loans are bad, interest on loans bad, tuition assistance good, jobs requiring a degree salary cap as to no degree salary cap bad, all these things are what I ask myself questions the actual need, want, must have pieces of paper to say hey, I went beyond high school now pay up sucka.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
it's a culture thing. also look at who is "most likely" to attend college now. it's not white guys.
now think about jobs that require degrees *to even apply*.

i hope it works out for employers. i really do. young guys that i know are saying "screw this" to the system that's been built. i unironically want to see corporate "america" destroyed.

they lie, they cheat, they steal. if corporations are "people" they would be in jail. or not, since they are powerful enough to control entire nation states, but they should be. the fact everyone just assumes they have to spend their entire waking lives working for one is the biggest lie peddled to this nation.

instead of teaching our children to simply start their businesses and the beauty of the free enterprise system we (somewhat) allow, we taught them that literally they would be working fast food if they didn't go to college. and they didn't scare the smart kids; they knew they were smart.
but it scared the *crap* out of dumb kids who let's be honest knew that comment was meant for them.
and i'm telling you: i sat in senior high school classes with kids *who could not read at an adult level* and i know for a fact they at least attended two years at OU.
lots of them.

i can only imagine how bad it is now, where it's openly "say the right thing? you're in!".

immigrant kids are taught to start businesses and work for themselves. they are successful. they are taught the American Dream we were told to chain ourselves to endless debt to acquire. i dunno, i keep my work separate about as much as i can from my "political" or online presence (i work in the arts; i hide my power level and most people have no idea i own guns or hold any of the views that i do. i'm 100% sure i would lose considerable work if even one of my higher profile clients found out). even as a self employed guy.

i couldn't *imagine* working a corporate culture and having to sit thru white guilt training. and you get a lot of that with those invented degrees for people who would otherwise be better suited for other work.

i retucked brick for a few summers. got good enough to work on historic houses doing "restorations". made $100 an hour. did anyone tell me that i would make that much money making mortar into the right color and texture, something that someone who couldn't read could actually manage? no, they told me i'd be working at Mickey D's if i didn't pay the people who employed them lots of money. funny how that works.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I wanted to get into the IT field I needed an Associates Degree. So in the course of getting one in computer science, I took one extra class and got a second one in Liberal Arts.

I have a good friend who has a Bachelors Degree in Liberal Studies, so I was giving her a hard time one day and told her that her Bachelors Degree in Liberal Studies qualified her to say, "Would you like fries with that?"

With zero hesitation, she responded that my Associates Degree in Liberal Arts qualified me to do the same, but only under direct supervision.

:laugh6:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's a culture thing. also look at who is "most likely" to attend college now. it's not white guys.
now think about jobs that require degrees *to even apply*.

i hope it works out for employers. i really do. young guys that i know are saying "screw this" to the system that's been built. i unironically want to see corporate "america" destroyed.

they lie, they cheat, they steal. if corporations are "people" they would be in jail. or not, since they are powerful enough to control entire nation states, but they should be. the fact everyone just assumes they have to spend their entire waking lives working for one is the biggest lie peddled to this nation.

instead of teaching our children to simply start their businesses and the beauty of the free enterprise system we (somewhat) allow, we taught them that literally they would be working fast food if they didn't go to college. and they didn't scare the smart kids; they knew they were smart.
but it scared the *crap* out of dumb kids who let's be honest knew that comment was meant for them.
and i'm telling you: i sat in senior high school classes with kids *who could not read at an adult level* and i know for a fact they at least attended two years at OU.
lots of them.

i can only imagine how bad it is now, where it's openly "say the right thing? you're in!".

immigrant kids are taught to start businesses and work for themselves. they are successful. they are taught the American Dream we were told to chain ourselves to endless debt to acquire. i dunno, i keep my work separate about as much as i can from my "political" or online presence (i work in the arts; i hide my power level and most people have no idea i own guns or hold any of the views that i do. i'm 100% sure i would lose considerable work if even one of my higher profile clients found out). even as a self employed guy.

i couldn't *imagine* working a corporate culture and having to sit thru white guilt training. and you get a lot of that with those invented degrees for people who would otherwise be better suited for other work.

i retucked brick for a few summers. got good enough to work on historic houses doing "restorations". made $100 an hour. did anyone tell me that i would make that much money making mortar into the right color and texture, something that someone who couldn't read could actually manage? no, they told me i'd be working at Mickey D's if i didn't pay the people who employed them lots of money. funny how that works.
Doesn’t really surprise me anymore. There’s a reason student loan forgiveness is one of the biggest things on peoples minds other than the C. They got the debt without the success. It’s sad. I remember when student loans were federalized many blew the whistle saying this wouldn’t be good in the end. Success is about the individuals work ethic, intelligence, talent and also how exclusive their skill set is.

I know tons of Americans that are broke, student loans out the A, stressed and mad.

Then there are immigrants that can barely speak English, stacking cash, running businesses and/or buying real estate.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always told my boys, get a marketable degree, one that they are seeking in the job markets. I further told them that if all was lost that education cannot be taken from you regardless of the economy.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work in the HVAC field (Building Automation), none of the folks that work for me have degrees and all make between $85k and $95K a year. Not getting rich but making a good living with no degree.
I have a degree in the field I retired from after 20 years and it got me nowhere because I never was in a big enough organization for it to be of any consequence. I worked for Siemens Building Controls for 15 years and another company that installed and serviced bank equipment afterward. My degree and 20 years of continuing education got me zilch.

The political environment of today's universities would lead me to steer my children to a vocational school or the military.

Latest posts

Top Bottom