Diabetics question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm type 1, so a little different there, & i have been told the same thing by some of my family members.
I'm pretty much addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper.
The thing is, regular pop is bad for you cause of the sugar content, a can of soda can & will raise blood sugar really high very rapidly.
Diet pop is bad for you because of the sweetner used. Aspartame is the most common. It evidently can cause cancer if you live in California. Even in laboratory rats. (Like what doesn't)

I've been drinking diet pop (Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, occasional 7-Up & Coke. Never diet pepsi) for nearly 23 years & I am still just fine.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That diet stuff is bad ju-ju. I'm not a diabetic but I do have essential tremor, and am at significant genetic risk for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, and my neurologist had a really stern talk with me at my first appointment with him about diet drinks and sweeteners of any kind. Actually processed foods of any kind. Literally, he spent 2 hours alone lecturing me on eating whole, unprocessed foods (NOT fast foods) and drinking water, tea and coffee, not soft drinks or diet drinks and no sugar or sweeteners.

I gotta tell ya he scared the bejeebuz outta me. I don't wanna be a vegetable sitting in the corner of a gigantic room in watching the Price is Right with a 100 other old folks with drool running down my chin and no clue what day it is. NO THANK YOU.

I had already made significant changes to my diet last year because of some health issues I'd had last year but he's made me kick it into high gear. I will NEVER touch another diet drink ever again. Thankfully, there is plenty of research out there that shows that stopping diet drinks and exercising regularly (specifically walking briskly) most days a week will undo whatever damage artificial sweetners have done to your metabolism. So, start drinking water and start walking! It really is that simple it seems.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Type I, drank a lot of Coke Zero. Stopped cold turkey on 8/31/15 just because my kids said I couldn't. Don't feel any different, didn't lose any weight, etc. Zero carbs is zero carbs. As far as the other diet drink claims, who knows. When it's my time to go, it's my time to go.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Zero people have ever been proven to be killed by diet soda. Take that how you want to...

I drink water and black coffee. And the infrequent but not rare diet soda.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm type 2 also but really like diet A&W root beer. Since it has 0 calories it can't hurt you. I've been drinking diet pop for years
and use Splenda in my coffee, cereal etc. My blood sugar and A1C stay pretty low too. I guess it depends on your body what
all you can eat that doesn't kill you. :spaghetti:

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Type I, drank a lot of Coke Zero. Stopped cold turkey on 8/31/15 just because my kids said I couldn't. Don't feel any different, didn't lose any weight, etc. Zero carbs is zero carbs. As far as the other diet drink claims, who knows. When it's my time to go, it's my time to go.

Lol, I hear ya. When I switched from Coke to Diet Coke all those years ago did I lose a frigging ounce of weight?? Hell, no. Given the fact that nothing passed my lips that wasn't in a Coke can back in the day I should have dropped at least 30 pounds. Bleh.

And I agree with ya on the when it's my time it's my time. I ain't afraid of going. I'm afraid of being stuck here in this "earthly vessel" with no mind to go with it for years before it's my time.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I liked the Best Choice Diet Cola because to me it tasted best. I quit diet pop almost entirely over a year ago no change in triglycerides, blood sugar, weight or energy. I have maybe 1 per month.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not diebetic. I drink everything but I'm cutting down on the soda. In the summer it's coffee in the morning and tea (unsweetened) or crystal light during the day. If I'm outside sweating buckets it's G2 gatorade mixed with water. I'll have a soda a couple times a week maybe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom