Does M9 Training Count?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
About 6 months ago i was told by guys at H & H and Gunworld that the Air Force's M9 training counts as the required class to get your Concealed Carry Permit. Has anyone tried this and if so, did they accept it? I have a permit for Georgia but i would like to get an oklahoma permit just to avoid any recipricocity complications that may arise. It would help alot to avoid paying the $$ for a class. I haven't had time to check with the authorities so i thought I would run it by OSA members first.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you have to have qualified with the M9, and it only exempts you from the live fire portion of the course.

Are you a legal resident of the State of Georgia, but assigned to duty her at Tinker? You might not need to do anything. I'm not sure if you can even get the OK permit without being an actual resident. I'm sure Rod Snell or some one like him can answer this better.

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
I believe you have to have qualified with the M9, and it only exempts you from the live fire portion of the course.

Are you a legal resident of the State of Georgia, but assigned to duty her at Tinker? You might not need to do anything. I'm not sure if you can even get the OK permit without being an actual resident. I'm sure Rod Snell or some one like him can answer this better.

I am still a legal resident of Georgia. Have the permit, driver's license, etc. I was pretty sure i read somewhere that with orders, i was allowed to get one. On a somewhat related note: has anyone had any issues with recipricocity in oklahoma? i just dont want an LEO giving me a hard time because i have a GA permit.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the OK permit, you still need to take the class, and you may be exempted from the fire portion of the class, as mons meg posted above. FYI - the fire portion of the class takes only a few minutes, only a few rounds, and does not require that you even hit the target - just show safe gun handling, with a semi-auto [which qualifies you to carry a semi, a revolver, and a derringer.] So, its little or no savings in cost or time. No savings in cost where I got my class. I had a California permit that exempted me from having to qualify, but, as I say, it does not much matter.

Don't know how you could have any trouble with reciprocity with any LEO who knows anything about OK law - - but I have to admit I got an OK permit, too, even though I already had a valid non-res from Florida. I figured if they ever mess with reciprocity, or if FLA ever messes with its non-res permits, I would still be covered. I suppose that there might be some advantages in what states recognize the OK permit over the one you have, but I have not checked.

I also figured it was a good political statement to make to the OK authorities that there was one more concerned, qualified citizen out there who cares about CCW law.

The definitive answer to whether you are allowed to get the OK permit is in the SDA, which is in a sticky at the top of this forum.

jej

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

1. Military training only exempts from the firing portion of OK classes (which is very simple anyway).
2. OK recognizes ANY valid carry license issued by another state, as long as that license remains valid, which is up to the issuing state. You might find a rookie OK LEO that would have to "phone home" for instructions, but most OK LEO I've met know the SDA.
3. A millitary person on PCS Orders to OK is eligible to obtain an OK CHL. However, such license MUST be returned to OSBI when the person goes PCS to another state.

GA allows active military to carry without a license, but NOT OK.

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
1. Military training only exempts from the firing portion of OK classes (which is very simple anyway).
2. OK recognizes ANY valid carry license issued by another state, as long as that license remains valid, which is up to the issuing state. You might find a rookie OK LEO that would have to "phone home" for instructions, but most OK LEO I've met know the SDA.
3. A millitary person on PCS Orders to OK is eligible to obtain an OK CHL. However, such license MUST be returned to OSBI when the person goes PCS to another state.

GA allows active military to carry without a license, but NOT OK.

Thanks for the info. All questions/concerns i had have been answered.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And the classroom portion of the class is only $30 for military that are M9 qualified per the SDA.

Not to exceed $30. Some instructors including myself would either discount or not charge active duty for the class. A small way to thanj you for your sevice IMHO.

:soldiers:

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the classroom portion of the class is only $30 for military that are M9 qualified per the SDA.

i tried to find the $30 rule on the OSBI website but couldn't find it. my friend called H&H the other day and they quoted a number quite a bit higher than that for military. just wondering if it's a written rule somewhere. if so, i'd like to print it out and show it to them. or if there's another place in OKC that would do it for that price, i would rather just take my business there. thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom