Don’t ever support homeless funding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are ya'lls thoughts on giving to St. Jude Children?
I give to St Jude’s, and I think that it’s mostly a good charitable organization. There was a news story awhile back that raised some concerns, but I still give on a monthly basis. Around 20 years ago, I knew a family that had a daughter with cancer. I don’t remember what kind of cancer, but St Jude provided a lot of care for her that the parents could have never afforded. She passed away when she was around 8 years old. It was heartbreaking to see such a terrible disease take such a young innocent life.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Free church handouts are still probably bad. I don't know about today, but 40 years ago it was pitiful. SUV's lined up for free food, But the real poor by the tracks in tar paper shacks didn't have a car to get in line.
The church I left for becoming a woke insane asylum at one time was really spot on. They took a donation to get gift cards to the grocery store. Instead of there being anonymity on who got them they did a thing during services and said if you’re needing this come up and grab a card. I think it made those who gave feel good to see it go to a grocery store and those who received had to make their needs known and have a little humility which I think is good.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Free church handouts are still probably bad. I don't know about today, but 40 years ago it was pitiful. SUV's lined up for free food, But the real poor by the tracks in tar paper shacks didn't have a car to get in line.

My first experience with "down by the tracks poor" was when I was in college. I was working at McDonalds in Ardmore and paying $75/month for a house down by the viaduct. And don't get me wrong it was a nice little house -- perfect for me and my Labrador Retriever.

Anyway, this REALLY sweet, really cute kid who had just barely turned 16 was working with me one night and it was pouring down rain when we got off work -- at midnight or so. So I stuck her bicycle in the "trunk" of my VW, wired the handle to the front bumper cuz I couldn't get it to close all the way and off we went.

She REALLY did live in a 3 room shanty down my the railroad tracks. Her and her mom and dad ... And her 8 other brothers and sisters. 😳 Who were ALL younger than her.

They didn't have running water. They didn't have a bathroom -- they had an outhouse. The floor shook (and the walls, which were covered with tar paper) when the trains went by. 😬 I honestly thought the whole shack was gonna fall down around us. 😶 I'm 5'3" and I couldn't stand up straight without bumping my head on the ceiling.

She was the only one who had a job. I was aghast. Even though I was going to school and working 2 jobs, so I was hardly ever home, my $75/months netted me what looked like a mansion compared to how those people were living.

I have no idea what their story was. She never told me. And I didn't ask. But I did take her home pretty regularly after that. Her home IIRC was a good 5 miles from the store -- and all she had was that bicycle. Sometimes we'd go down to the grocery store in the middle of our shift (after the dinner rush) so she could get groceries to take home. Sometimes she took home the food we "wasted" at the end of the night. The manager used to get furious at me for making a dozen too many Quarter Pounders on football nights. (It's just hard to gauge how many burgers you need to throw down when a bus pulls up at 11 pm on a Friday night, ya know?? 🤷🤷😇

That glimpse of her life made me really grateful for the life I had.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I'd give to the families if I knew of them ....what does the staff make...CEo have a company car...expense acct...they are on TV alot...that is not cheap giving away china make stuff for donations...
Judi, I work for FedEx who sponsors St Jude. Please research further on how much $$ it costs for cancer treatment and number of kids they support annually. Yes, people running the 'show' get paid. Think of it like this - a skilled leader may require a bigger salary but isn't that better than an unskilled person making lots less?

FedEx makes millions on the golf events we host and advertising to get donors. Are they perfect? Nah, we know that. But these families pay nothing for treatment or staying there. I agree it shouldn't be wall street type pay and benefits.FedEx and St. Jude

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worked with a guy, about 45 years ago. We carpooled to work. One morning, we see a man panhandling at a corner. Monte muttered something, I asked, "what was that?"
"Nothing" he says.
Next morning, man is there again. We catch the light and see a couple people give something. Monte shakes his head and speaks of sunny beaches.i asked if he knew the man?

He starts in: "I was in the Air Force, was working at a gas station, all the hours I could, trying to pay bills and feed my wife and 2 boys. One morning, middle of the week, this raggedy, old pick up pulls in. Guy, about my age and 6 kids get out. He asked for $1 in gas, unless I could give him more. I start to pump gas, start up a conversation, oldest kid says they are going fishing. I say I wish I was taking my boys fishing. The man says, "so, do it." I tell him "I have to work"
He says, "I am on welfare, sit on a corner, when kids are in school, probably make more than you, with my kids all the time and enjoy life." I look at him and say, "how do live with yourself? Perfectly able to work and sponging off the system."
He says, "which of us is crazy? You working 2-3 jobs, 80-100 hrs every week, never any time with wife and kids or me, going fishing with my kids?" I say, "WOW and punched him in the nose." I will never give a dime to any able looking, PoS beggar."

Latest posts

Top Bottom