Dwight D. Eisenhower on the consequences of war

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if you're looking at military manufacturing as the sole influence that perpetuates never-ending cycles of war, you're missing a big part of the picture. Like LC said - read your history. The industry is big part of it, though. It was in 1961 when Ike said that, and it is today.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Know who else was a lefty? James Madison.

"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes … known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few.… No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."

We could post up facts and numbers, but we'd just get a rebuttal of "I have a link to a blog that disproves those numbers; I'll post it later". :D

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Measuring military spending as a percentage against the GDP or federal budget is about as misleading a thing as you can do with numbers. That simply means the GDP has grown at a staggering rate and it out-pacing the ability of military spending to keep up with it. Do me a favor and tell me what the GDP was in 1960. How about 2010? How about federal budget in 1960 vs 2010? Adjust for inflation.

U.S. Military spending accounted for almost 47% of the military spending in the entire world in 2009. Almost the same in 2010 ($728 Billion...which is roughly six times more than the next biggest military spender, China)

In inflation-adjusted dollars, military spending has grown for an unprecedented 13 consecutive years.

Excluding war costs, the defense budget has grown almost 50% in the last ten years.

In inflation-adjusted dollars, U.S. military spending is at its highest level since WWII - higher than it was during the Cold War.

To deny there is a huge power influence in $728 Billion, regardless of how it stacks up percentage-wise, is naive.

Last edited:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Know who else was a lefty? James Madison.

"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes … known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few.… No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."

We could post up facts and numbers, but we'd just get a rebuttal of "I have a link to a blog that disproves those numbers; I'll post it later". :D

what a lefty. We all know he didn't care one bit about the constitution or laws or this nation. Would that make him a D-R.I.N.O?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind you're talking to RickN, a man who once called an article in the World Net Daily written by Pat Buchanan "lefty spin." Anything that goes against what Gingrich and Santorum say is lefty spin, and the sooner you learn that the better you'll be.

I pretty much had that figured out by his language but couldn't resist the urge to hear him say more.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, if you're looking at military manufacturing as the sole influence that perpetuates never-ending cycles of war, you're missing a big part of the picture. Like LC said - read your history. The industry is big part of it, though. It was in 1961 when Ike said that, and it is today.

Top 100 Government contractors http://washingtontechnology.com/toplists/top-100-lists/2011.aspx?m=2

Pretty hard not to look at that list and see that the top 10 are easily all military related.

Latest posts

Top Bottom