EMP you should consider the inevitable posibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Red Chinese and the Russians have been hardening military bases, essential strategic infrastructure and hoarding food and medicines for years as our ‘so called’ elected government officials ignore growing international military threats while spending untold trillions of dollars to support illegal aliens, non-productive social welfare programs and are willfully seeking to use the force of government to undermine our country’s energy production. When the big attack comes, we elected them; so we’ll deserve exactly what we get…..

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Red Chinese and the Russians have been hardening military bases, essential strategic infrastructure and hoarding food and medicines for years as our ‘so called’ elected government officials ignore growing international military threats while spending untold trillions of dollars to support illegal aliens, non-productive social welfare programs and are willfully seeking to use the force of government to undermine our country’s energy production. When the big attack comes, we elected them; so we’ll deserve exactly what we get…..
Don't like what you said much. I sure as **** didn't vote for folks who would do that sort of thing. OTH, can't deny the truth of what you said about it for the folks who did vote for those people. Unfortunately, we didn't hang together, so we will hang separately.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, I think that an extremely unlikely EMP attack won't do much. With current technology, the only way to create a serious, large area EMP strike of any meaningful magnitude would be via a nuclear reaction. Even then, with all that in mind, you should be able to protect most of your stuff with a faraday bag. Or aluminum foil. Or any sort of plain ol metal container you have floating around. Honestly, I'm willing to bet a sheet metal barn or shed would do a pretty decent job of protecting your stuff within it. Also, while people don't build datacenters for EMP blasts (at least I don't think they do) They do build datacenters that can withstand just about anything, and generally have a lot of redundancy. Between the extremely impressive buildings, the server racks, and general precautions taken, I am willing to bet most datacenters would make it just fine. In both of the above cases, surge protectors will do a large part of stopping damage as well.

There's definitely going to be some issues afterwards, and I bet they will be bad deals, but I dont think an EMP attack will be as devastating or widespread as most people think it will be.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have three Solar Generators (4 Patriots X2, and one ECOFlOW with two extra storage batteries, and about seven Solar panels for sale. All part of and estate sale. He was a prepper and all are brand new and never been used. Would like to sell as a full package, but the downside is, I'm in Southern Arizona. Shipping would be costly It could be worth the drive. I only guess the new on box storage batteries are about 35 pounds each, and same with the generators. Panels vary in size and weight. If interested Make reasonable offer/s Widow needs the money as he had no life insurance. 520-678-0041

Attachments

• IMG_7203.jpg
    IMG_7203.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Solar Shield.jpg
    Solar Shield.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7400.jpg
    IMG_7400.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7401.jpg
    IMG_7401.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7505.jpg
    IMG_7505.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7507.jpg
    IMG_7507.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7512.jpg
    IMG_7512.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7504.jpg
    IMG_7504.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 0

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, I think that an extremely unlikely EMP attack won't do much. With current technology, the only way to create a serious, large area EMP strike of any meaningful magnitude would be via a nuclear reaction. Even then, with all that in mind, you should be able to protect most of your stuff with a faraday bag. Or aluminum foil. Or any sort of plain ol metal container you have floating around. Honestly, I'm willing to bet a sheet metal barn or shed would do a pretty decent job of protecting your stuff within it. Also, while people don't build datacenters for EMP blasts (at least I don't think they do) They do build datacenters that can withstand just about anything, and generally have a lot of redundancy. Between the extremely impressive buildings, the server racks, and general precautions taken, I am willing to bet most datacenters would make it just fine. In both of the above cases, surge protectors will do a large part of stopping damage as well.

There's definitely going to be some issues afterwards, and I bet they will be bad deals, but I dont think an EMP attack will be as devastating or widespread as most people think it will be.
We don’t need an EMP. About 10 days of hot weather taxes the electrical grid to max capacity. I’ve mentioned before but the fictional book Lights Out is pretty entertaining on what could happen in an EMP event.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys you need to quit drinking the EMP boogey man koolaid , there is a lot of credible evidence that contradicts what the fear mongering has been saying for a long time. Most modern consumer electronics , cars , computers have been built with survivability in mind . While some things will indeed not work many others will , an EMP natural or man made will not put civilization back into the dark ages .

Please see the below ..

Questions about the potential damage to vehicles in the aftermath of an EMP are quite common. An exhaustive study by the EMP Commission to determine the effects of an EMP on the United States (available here) were conclusive: most vehicles would survive an EMP.

U.S. EMP Commission Test Results – Key Points

• 50 vehicles built between 1987 and 2002 were exposed to a spectrum of EMP blasts (up to 50kV/m in strength).
  • 3 out of 50 vehicles shut down while driving.
  • All 3 of these vehicles continued rolling until they safely coasted to a stop.
  • 1 of those vehicles was disabled completely and would not restart.
  • 2 of those vehicle restarted without an issue.
  • Many nuisance issues arose from the 50 exposed vehicles including radio interference, strange and erratic behavior from headlights, turn-signals or brake-lights, and one vehicle needed to have its dashboard replaced

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys you need to quit drinking the EMP boogey man koolaid , there is a lot of credible evidence that contradicts what the fear mongering has been saying for a long time. Most modern consumer electronics , cars , computers have been built with survivability in mind . While some things will indeed not work many others will , an EMP natural or man made will not put civilization back into the dark ages .

Please see the below ..

Questions about the potential damage to vehicles in the aftermath of an EMP are quite common. An exhaustive study by the EMP Commission to determine the effects of an EMP on the United States (available here) were conclusive: most vehicles would survive an EMP.

U.S. EMP Commission Test Results – Key Points

• 50 vehicles built between 1987 and 2002 were exposed to a spectrum of EMP blasts (up to 50kV/m in strength).
  • 3 out of 50 vehicles shut down while driving.
  • All 3 of these vehicles continued rolling until they safely coasted to a stop.
  • 1 of those vehicles was disabled completely and would not restart.
  • 2 of those vehicle restarted without an issue.
  • Many nuisance issues arose from the 50 exposed vehicles including radio interference, strange and erratic behavior from headlights, turn-signals or brake-lights, and one vehicle needed to have its dashboard replaced
Have you read of the Carrington Event? That happened in 1859. Carrington Event still provides warning of Sun’s potential 161 years later - NASASpaceFlight.com According to that link, there was a 2012 event of similar strength that just missed Earth. And earlier in the thread I cited a link to a nuclear test done in the 1960's that shut down power in much of Hawaii from about 900 miles. I'd like to believe we're safe, but I was an electronics tech for the USAF from 1985 until 1997. We're using more solid-state electronics for more purposes, and the traces in the micro-electronics we use are getting smaller and smaller, and therefore more susceptible to any sort of EMP or similar event. And we have more countries in the world that are nuclear armed, and several of them are not exactly our friends. Nature or enemy action, it's not what I'd consider a negligible possibility.

Are there simple and relatively inexpensive things you can do to prepare for such an event, or events? Yes, there are. Faraday cages are amazingly simple to construct, though the materials needed can be a bit costly if you want to protect an entire house or workshop, and you're retrofitting. Surge suppression has improved by leaps and bounds over the past 27 years, and that can help. And you used to find lighting arrestors and such on most buildings, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside in the past 50 or 60 years. I've got some old Ham books and magazines that show how to build an lightning arrestor for an HF radio antenna with spark plugs, for example.

And have you been inside a recent cell phone lately? Plastic case, exposed circuits on open boards. No little or no shielding. I've been building PC compatible computers for as long as that's been possible, and they aren't much better. Thecases are usually mostly metal, but with lots relatively large holes in them. Most modern cars are more plastic than metal, as well. And you're trusting the same government that told us that the Covid-19 vaccines are perfectly safe, and very effective at preventing the disease.

If it can happen, it has happened. And if it has happened, it can definitely happen again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom