Favorite "Form" of Prepping and Why ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It occurs to me that several of us are working on putting back what we think we will need in an emergency and several of us are working on homesteading in case "issues abound". And I'm positive that many of us are actually doing both ...

And some of us are gonna raid and plunder ... :lookaroun ... been ... :pms2::heart::sunbath:

My question is, which way are you working on and why?

I'll go first ...

I've built a sizeable pantry (and armory :teehee:) over the last few years. Have plenty of camping equipment, though I'm always on the lookout for good deals ... Anyhow, now that my health is better, I find myself looking at all we have and thinking just how finite all this "stuff" is ... nevermind the prices at the grocery stores now days ... or the fact that most of the produce I buy tastes really, really "not good". I swear canned food tastes better that the fresh stuff you pay an arm and a leg for. So ... I've become interested in growing as much fresh food as I can.

By extrapolation, this means that I have also become interested in preservation techniques such as canning, dehydrating, fermentation, over-wintering (like a root cellar), etc. I'm also finding four-season harvesting an interest.

Small livestock (like chickens, rabbits, quail, tilapia and DWARF GOATS :lookaroun) have always been of interest to me, as my dad never, ever paid for the meat we ate when I was growing up ... Even our beef and pork was home-grown and/or obtained by bartering for services or trading for our harvested birds or rabbits.

Besides, I kinda like my critters. I enjoy their antics and company, and giving them a good life before they are harvested makes me happy.

I still buy from EE, The Ready Store, ShelfReliance from time to time. And EVERY TIME Costco has a sale on some long-term storage stuff I fire off an order ... :lookaroun I LOVE going to see Gaylon at Red Dawn and never come out of there empty-handed ... :teehee: but most of my efforts are focused on sustainability right where I am.

If GC and I manage to pull off buying a rural property when he retires, then ... well ... I guess I'll just start over, but I'm all for "blooming where you are planted" as they say ...

What about you guys??

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really concerned giving the current mentality of society that we're basically doomed if something big happens.
That being said I'm leaning towards becoming a Rover of some type with the goal of ending up somewhere warm all year.
In reality I'll probably end up roadkill somewhere along the way.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really concerned giving the current mentality of society that we're basically doomed if something big happens.
That being said I'm leaning towards becoming a Rover of some type with the goal of ending up somewhere warm all year.
In reality I'll probably end up roadkill somewhere along the way.

LOL ... I know the feeling. I'm stuck here until the department cuts GC loose ... which means that we won't get out when the getting is good ... So ... buggin' in is our only option ... I'll probably get burned out and raped, pillaged and plundered ... But ... I'll sure try to take a few of those mofos body parts with me when I go ... :wink2:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been workin' on the armory most of my life. Lately been putting back some vittles. Started rocket stove project, got sidelined with surgery for now. My wife is BSN- ER nurse/SICU/cardiac/...super-nurse, she's been getting into the medical side of things. Got a small garden, but haven't really put aside much from it.
My plan is to survive well enough to shoot looters, or just random survivors and take their stuff.
Hey - it's a brave new world, right?

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Bug In" and hunker down. Protect the fort. Through preparation, I plan to stay cool and calm as others are panicking.

When that plan stops working, we're going to load up what's left of our supplies, head to Kemah, "acquire" a cruising sailboat and flee.

OKIE LADY

Marksman
Reaction score
Hey Edmond Member,
We've got a real good fixer-upper sail boat in storage for a really good price! It's a 22 footer with trailor, motor, sails, all the stuff; Hubby's health just can't manage to get it fixed. It was a dream at one time for him, now just sitting there. Don't wait until ya gotta flee; get it from us for a great deal, get it fixed up, and it'll already be there for you!

Like you and Badge Bunny, we're in (the suburbs) for the long haul. If North Korea decides to start something soon, as Fox News has talked about all day today, we may not be waiting long for shortages, etc to start. You know, China is their "good friend" so if they decide to step in with No.Korea, WalMart and Hobby Lobby are gonna be hurtin' big. Of course if China gives us the cold shoulder they'll be hurting because their main buyer will be out the window. Whatever, we just keep on storing food, and everything else we could need, a bit at a time.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ehhh ... Bunch of hot air. Maybe Dennis Rodman can get him back out on the basketball court and keep him entertained so he won't fancy himself a major player ... Some people's kids ... Sheesh ... :disappoin

Of course, I could be wrong so be sure and stock up iodine pills ... Just in case ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom