Favorite "Form" of Prepping and Why ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the end, I believe, that your last statement (and the attitude it takes to be able to say truthfully say that) is the most important "thing" anyone can have. Attitude is 9/10ths of the battle, IMHO ...

Oh, and thanks for the info on fruit trees guys ... I think I'm fixing to place an order with WildRidge for my fig trees ... I may just do them for now and put in some apple trees in the fall ... If I'm not careful I'll get way too many plants and then not have the time to nurse them through the hot months. I don't wanna make that mistake ... again ... :disappoin I'm trying to be a bit more careful this year ... :naughty::D

give them each 5 gallons of water a day for the first year until they get a good roots system established.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
give them each 5 gallons of water a day for the first year until they get a good roots system established.

Ok, this may sound dumb, but ... Well I trust you guys not too make fun of me (well, not too much anyway :D) but I've thought about taking a couple of big pickle buckets, drilling holes in the bottom and about 8 inches up around all the side, fill it half with gravel and then bury it at the outside perimeter of the original hole dug to plant. Two per tree, to use to keep them watered. With odd/even watering restrictions already in place this seems to be the most efficient, least wasteful way to make sure they stay fully hydrated for the first year. (Not to mention if restrictions become more ... Ehhhh ... "restrictive" my watering system isn't quite as noticeable and hence not as likely to create problems with the ever-present neighborhood busybodies ...

Comments, hints, suggestions??

Thanks, guys!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The nursery told us to use 4" pvc french drain pipe that is already drilled, and can be installed with post hole diggers, or a shovel. Its cheap, and a little fertilizer at times really made our peach trees grow. We have to fight the deer for them when they get ripe, but it works. When they get a good root system, just fill them with dirt at ground level and leave em there.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, this may sound dumb, but ... Well I trust you guys not too make fun of me (well, not too much anyway :D) but I've thought about taking a couple of big pickle buckets, drilling holes in the bottom and about 8 inches up around all the side, fill it half with gravel and then bury it at the outside perimeter of the original hole dug to plant. Two per tree, to use to keep them watered. With odd/even watering restrictions already in place this seems to be the most efficient, least wasteful way to make sure they stay fully hydrated for the first year. (Not to mention if restrictions become more ... Ehhhh ... "restrictive" my watering system isn't quite as noticeable and hence not as likely to create problems with the ever-present neighborhood busybodies ...

Comments, hints, suggestions??

Thanks, guys!

You like them 'big pickles' by the bucket, eh?

OK, serious ............. yes that will work. I do the PVC pipe, schedule 40, drill my own holes on the bottom half. 10ft sections of pipe cut into 3rds. Occassionally add some root stimulator and fertilizer.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if I an answering your question. As most know from my avatar area Amd my past posts I live in SoCal. My prepping centers around the Big One (massive earthquake). I stock food and water but need more of each. With a huge amount of damage expected I probably own as many power and hand tools than most people that make a living as a contractor so I can take care of what's needed in that area. Got my weapons situated. Also, since I am a sales rep and tend to be from 10-50 miles from home everyday I keep a GHB in my work truck. Most would consider it a BOB or even an INCH bag. Really it is my Survival Bag. Briefly, contents include fire starting, food, water & purification, FAK, MSS, cooking/mess kit, extra clothes, small axe, ESEE-6, Izula-2' Leatherman, cordage, lighting equip, you get the idea. Ohhhhh, and I will be bugging in unless it get too dangerous or unlivable or I will be packing what we can and heading to Tulsa.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The nursery told us to use 4" pvc french drain pipe that is already drilled, and can be installed with post hole diggers, or a shovel. Its cheap, and a little fertilizer at times really made our peach trees grow. We have to fight the deer for them when they get ripe, but it works. When they get a good root system, just fill them with dirt at ground level and leave em there.

This ^^^^^, except make sure you get the pipe sleeve/sock that goes over it and keeps dirt from gettingin the drain holes. I'm in the construction industry and this is exactly what all the landscape contractors do when they are planting high $$$$$$ trees. Helps the root system grow stronger and deeper. Typically they will put the drain pipe in before setting the tree in the hole and the pipe will be an "L" shape with the bottom of the L going directly under the root ball about 8-12" below.

faerielady

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My nanking cherries have buds! :woohoo1: I've sent in my soil samples, and I'm waiting for the results to come in. Hopefully I get something quickly... the apple trees will be here (and will have to go in the ground when they get here).

BB, the bucket with holes approach is one that my dad used with his pecan trees. I'm going to be doing it with my fruit trees.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im no help. I plant fruit trees every spring, they all die within 3 years. I could prolly plant red cedars and theyd die, lol.

Seriously. PM DeerSlayer on OSA. He only hangs out in the hunting/fishing forum. I got my soil analysis back today.
I planted some Cypris hybrid trees two years ago and kept them watered.
They died. I thought it was the drought, but it turned out they are an evergreen and need acid soil (that can be added easily). I was putting in water from our well that has a high PH.
They can't survive on that high of a PH.
Finally figured out why my garden hasn't produced in the last two years. I have a lot of work to do, getting the soil ammended.

Latest posts

Top Bottom