Found a bargain! I think...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in one of my local toy stores today and he had just acquired a model 29-2. This big bore sported the original blued finish, RR/WO, 4 inch snout, targets all the way around, P&R and lazy ampersands on both sides.

That's the GOOD news. :D

*sigh* now for the BAD news. [Broken External Image]

This thing looks like hell. It has significant and considerable saddle wear all along the barrel, worse at the muzzle, the outside of each chamber has much of the finish gone due to about a gozillion presentations from the holster, there's a big spot on the front of the trigger guard hump where it's down to the bare metal and the backstrap has a rich brown patina, deep into the grip's grooves from many sweaty hands with a firm grip. I would say the overall finish is at about 65-70% +/-. It is also a touch out of time on about 3 or 4 cylinders.

What's worse, is that the lock up is pretty sloppy and it has an awful hammer push off. However, the bore looked pretty good. There is no box, docs or tools. It's been shot a lot, but not so much that the bore is smooth...yet. ;)

Is it worth the $400 price tag out the door? [Broken External Image]

Would S&W fix this little guy's issues on their dime as a warranty problem? Or would I be better off taking it to my local smithy. I wouldn't wanna send this potential heirloom to S&W only for them to tell me it was junk and then they send me a brand new one, complete with a shiny new internal lock and state of the art MIM parts. [Broken External Image]

For what it's worth, the finish doesn't bother me as much as the mechanics of the revolver. Hell, I'd come closer to totin' it knowing it looks as bad as it does. It's them purdy ones that I have a hard time taking outside.

Your thoughts/comments please.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would pass on it myself. And I don't think S&W will fix the issues under warranty, but I could be wrong you might call them and see what they say.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen S&W fix under warranty and I've seen them charge $$$ for repairs. Would you like for me to call my guy at S&W and ask him his opinion?

Plinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After doing a little comparison shopping it looks to be about half the price of what one in good condition is going for.

It sounds like the internals need some work, if not replacement, plus the refinishing. You could end up getting her right for less than $700 - $800.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know GED. It sounds a bit high for the amount of work it's needing. If S&W will do all the mechanical it might be worth it. I'd give S&W a call and see what they said. Also discuss the replacement and tell them you want it back regardless. I'd make the call based on what I could get out of S&W. :twocents:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
P&R'd 29-2 with 4"bbl at in less than stellar condition for 400-. I'd see if I could get him down atleast 25 to 50-. Then take to your own smith to have the issues worked on. S&W may not tough one that age, and if they did decide to an exchange, you wouldn't get the other back either way. A couple of guys on the blue forum had that misadventure with S&W when they sent their 624's in to have the cylinders checked. Both guns failed, and since S&W didn't have spare parts to fix them, they had the only option of getting a new gun, and couldn't get their 624's returned.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good answers so far. Jerry Biggs, go ahead and call your S&W guy and see what it would cost to make it right.

As for the cosmetic issues? I don't paln on doing a thing to them. I WANT it to look like hell. I know, I know...but the thing is - I won't be so scared to tote it looking the way it does. If it was all purdy and pristine with a new paint job, I'd be compelled to leave it in the sock drawer and rub on it. I have no room in my life for a safe queen. :disappoin I doubt that it would ever get refinished.

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep 'em coming! :D

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good answers so far. Jerry Biggs, go ahead and call your S&W guy and see what it would cost to make it right.

As for the cosmetic issues? I don't paln on doing a thing to them. I WANT it to look like hell. I know, I know...but the thing is - I won't be so scared to tote it looking the way it does. If it was all purdy and pristine with a new paint job, I'd be compelled to leave it in the sock drawer and rub on it. I have no room in my life for a safe queen. :disappoin I doubt that it would ever get refinished.

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep 'em coming! :D

Unless you plan on throwing lots of mag rounds in her, treat her like the lady she is and shoot more .44spl rounds, than truckstoppers! Besides your gonna have more fun with the special loads.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you plan on throwing lots of mag rounds in her, treat her like the lady she is and shoot more .44spl rounds, than truckstoppers! Besides your gonna have more fun with the special loads.

Yeah, no doubt I would stoke her with some soft thumpin' specials.

Like I said earlier. The .44 Magnum was never really even on my short list of wanted/needed weapons. The only N frames I really want is a Registered or a 27.2 with a 3.5" tube and a 4 inch model 25-2. I just stumbled across this old girl and thought if S&W would fix it for free, I'd have a helluva bargain.

But alas...again I have been let down. :cry3:

Oh well. No big. I still gotta pay for a coach gun anyways. I really need/want it worse than this N frame. :rolleyes2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom