Get bit by a rattlesnake, ouch. Go to the hospital, get bill, OUCH!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would have to ask the wifie the Crofab dosing...............but depending on blood work, a dozen or two dozen vials isn't unheard of IIRC. It's a pricey accident.

I started initial therapy on a little girl not long ago - 6 vials at $10k/vial. Plus a chopper ride. $100,000 bill an hour after arrival at the hospital, by the time they lifted off the helipad. She was responding well, so I doubt any more Crofab was needed, but it isn't uncommon to go through 20 vials for a serious bite.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not really been afraid of rattle snakes as long as I see them first but WOW this bill makes me rethink my theory. I had one miss my hand by a few inches once. In my defense he acted more dazed than he really was after I hit him with a rock.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insurance companies do the same thing, only on a much larger scale.

Nope... insurance companies just approve what they'll pay. You take it or leave it. Same with Medicare.

Seriously, though... if you don't like the cost, then do without. Demand will drive market price, and costs (and availability) will go down. It's simple economics, right?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why don't you try asking the cost and negotiating when it's a choice of life/limb or death in an emergency situation instead of after the treatment has been rendered?

Wait.... wait.... anti-venom doesn't grow on trees???

Latest posts

Top Bottom